You will recall last week, Pete was like "make cat mugs, people love them! you could fiddle the rim like a heart mug..." and it had gotten me thinking, indeed. I showed the first couple out of the kiln yesterday, blue pair of bowl and cat mug (sold right away, actually--I am onto something here, hmmm?) and a puppy mug, here are the other experiments fired below. Well, first are the mugs I was finishing yesterday---I had been thinking about a couple of things:
1) first attempts: these are a lot of work, adding faces inside there and all, so I am not gonna do that anymore and
2) Summer was like "how about the handle is a tail????" which I had been wondering about, and decided to go with
****added later that same day, because of confusion: I don't think I explained myself very well at all. I am now making 2 different styles of cat mugs, which I like: seen below here in grey, raw clay, the rim shaped with cat ears, and also the added ears and face on the rim --when you look at the glaze fired pieces pictured further down and see the face INSIDE on the bottom, those are the ones that are too much work :)
SO, what we have is 2 versions of cat mugs I was finishing yesterday here, and there are bowls too...have an awesome weekend!
(new pottery by Gary Rith)
Gary's Third Pottery Blog
When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....
WRITE TO ME! email@example.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016
Friday, February 3, 2012
cat mugs, version 7.0, 8.0 or something like that....
Posted by Gary's third pottery blog at 5:09 AM
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Me and Missus Tastycakes
ME, the TV interview :)
my etsy gallery
- ► 2016 (324)
- ► 2015 (358)
- ► 2014 (361)
- ► 2013 (366)
- one fact and one dream, chapter, um, 4, 5 or 6: w...
- killer guac indeed....
- a mermaid's dream: the ultimate aquarium castle!
- my most absolute favorite book EVER
- we are very big in Japan.....
- wherever you look? CATS!
- why YES, i dress to match my pets....
- Godzilla takes on this teapot after Tokyo.....
- shark attack, oh noooooooo....!
- Godzilla comes OVER and the cats take OVER.....
- that's me, doing the Zoolander pout and making the...
- Michelle was like "I got all this HAIR IN YOUR EAR...
- Saturday too blingin' early but here I am ....
- pasta fool? pasta fazooly??????? pasta fagioli?
- time to be thinking: BUNNIES and Easter.....
- no Heffalumps today....
- is your idea of a romantic dinner bean burritos????
- Buster Boo 1999-2012
- one dream and one fact, LITERALLY! we need YOU tod...
- walking in that winter wonderland, or hey, anybody...
- monster Sunday....
- cats cats cats cats and more cat mugs!
- the s3xiest thing you have seen in your life is: ...
- heads or....???
- guac and ROLL...
- Benji is like George Clooney, except a lot more ha...
- a rare look behind the curtain that is me
- a final reflection on recent events....
- while you are watching the super bowl, some of us ...
- going that one step further...with the cats.....
- The most moist mole a$$e$ muffins EVER
- cat mugs, version 7.0, 8.0 or something like that....
- of GODZILLA dragons and GINORMOUS cats....
- holy cats, 20 years ago TODAY!
- Garyzilla strikes again! And one fact and one drea...
- ▼ February (36)
- ► 2011 (413)
- ► 2010 (616)
- Gary's third pottery blog
- I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.
Cat and pottery lovers beware! These are super! Thanks for sharing...I enjoy your blog frequently.
Hooray! More cat mugs! I love the ones with the faces on the side. Sorry that they're a lot of work but we must all suffer a bit for great art. Or something like that. Yes, save me one or maybe a mug and a bowl if you have a bowl with a face. They're (as you say) tres cute!
I'm not a cat person per se, but these are seriously cute mugs! I especially like the ones with the faces on the side! The tail handle is COOL !
I agree with Claudia and RDG about the faces on the sides of the mugs, and the tails area a great touch.
LOVE the cat mugs with the tail handles. I don't think they need faces, the shape is purr-fect (sorry, had to) I'll be watching for those to land in your etsy store.
I don't think I explained myself very well at all. I am now making 2 different styles of cat mugs, which I like: the rim shaped with cat ears, and also the added ears and face on the rim --when you look at the glaze fired pieces and see the face INSIDE on the bottom, those are the ones that are too much work :)
both styles are way cool but i think the altered rim with no face and tale is my fave.
I vote for the tail with the face on the rim. (They are BADDDD!!! in the good way.)(The ones with the faces on the bottom have to be screened for PTSD prior to use...)
I adore everything you make Gary! I love it all......
whoa man - these are def collectable! They rock, and are very cute and cuddly.. I kinda gotta get one! I should stop by this week if ur around
Mugging for the camera again.
The cat'o'onetail mug is great.
That cat grinning at me from the bottom of the mug is KILLING me.
Post a Comment