Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Monday, July 9, 2012

"SPUNKY Pottery!"



I liked that, day 3 of July Fest in Binghamton, NY and a delightful young lady tells me "your pottery is SPUNKY!".  I have heard my work described different ways, but that is my favorite
(there is a certain type of person, let's say they look like a church lady, who will be looking at my work, sniff, look down their nose, and say "that's different" and although I have never thrown anything at anybody for saying that, I HAVE sat there and politely smiled that frozen smile you wear when you meet people like that thinking, as Dan Akyroyd would say during newcasts on SNL 30-40 years ago "Jane, you ignorant slut". No, I was brought up to be polite and keep my mouth shut.....)

ANYWAY, so its funny to be in the craft fair bubble.  Any nuclear accidents?  Did the Yankees win? I don't know!  I was so tired Sunday afternoon I couldn't figure the change from a ten for $8.64.
BUT it was a miracle of a wonderful festival, and this was my third straight year at this one, and the best so far.  OH GOSH I sold so much, best show I have had since the early Bush years?  maybe even the late Clinton years? best show in a long time, yaaaay! I think I can thank my new buttery yellow painted display (see post below) and maybe also my new bag policy this year:  I collect paper bags from the store (FREE!) and me and my sharpie decorate them like you see here.....
Just a great weekend, I am so happy.  Anyway, Penny and I go to the retirement center today then I gotta unpack...and BIG THINGS coming later this week, more on that.....

Groovy building with a lion's head on the street across from my booth in Binghamton.

15 comments:

smartcat said...

Which is the lion's head?
So happy that you had a great weekend. I think it may be due to the great pottery, rather than the set-up. The display is important....but the prettiest setting is no good if there is no diamond to go in the ring!

smalltownme said...

Your bags are works of art.

Lori Buff said...

I normally agree with them when they say "that's different" I take it as a complement whether they mean it that way or not.

bartster said...

Thanks for making art that's accessible, fun and functional (the guy says while sipping coffee from a Gary Rith Beagle Mug). I also had to check out the related SNL clips including an intro. to the first cast. Yep...the stuff is still funny!

-Rob, Simple Circle Studios said...

Yeah, I get the "that's different" comment quite a bit too. My favorite one though was a lady who told me I have a very strange mind.
And where do you shop that has paper bags still? I haven't seen a paper bag at a grocery store in I don't know how long.

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

Spunky! Those bags are super cute but I agree that the great day of sales most likely has to do with your most awesome and irresistible pots! Glad you had a great weekend!

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

I agree with Smalltownme, those bags are works of art! And yes, you DO have spunky pottery! :)
Congrats on a great show!

I'm looking forward to having Mrs. G. here to visit and eat off dishes made by YOU! :)

But first... whoa hoho! She's coming to your house ON FRIDAY!!!!
It would be so much fun to be there. Wish I was road-tripping, too.

Michèle Hastings said...

i agree, sales are picking up! on Saturday we had almost non-stop traffic in our shop from 9:45 until 2:00 pm, when we closed early to get away. AND people were spending money.
I hope that lady at least smiled when she made that comment, because who could NOT smile when looking at your pots!

k.a. barnes said...

Your personality comes through in your work (and your posts). People want to be a part of this wonderful world you've created and by buying your stuff (lots of it, hopefully) they're trying to make their own lives a little more "Rith-like." Rith-esque? Rith-ish?

Joyful Things said...

I had forgotten that line! It makes me laugh.
One day Gary the circumstance will be right and it will be okay for you to say it out loud!

Little Miss Sunshine State said...

The Yankees won, then the Red Sox won (YAY), then the Yankees won.

Love your bags!

To the sort of rude lady,you should have said "THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!! You GET IT! You REALLY get it!!!"

Karen Jensen said...

I'm so glad you sold a bunch!

Unknown said...

Spunky? I think it must have another meaning over there as I am not sure how I would feel if someone said it to me here in the UK.

Congratulations on the success of your festival. Let's hope some of the spending bubble blows this way for the autumn :) I love the little bunnies.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

Spunky means full of life and good youthful energy, i would say :) "Thant's different" said with a sniff means "you are a weirdo and I hate you" ;)

Busy Bee Suz said...

"Jane, you ignorant slut"...was my favorite Uncle's favorite line! LOL!
Glad you did well....some people don't have the manners that you do!
Love your recycled bags!

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.