Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Monday, October 17, 2011

the Joy of banana bread...

Basically, it was one of those Sunday mornings when you want to warm the kitchen and...get rid of the old bananas. We loooove banana bread in this house, and the wife wanted to make a large apple pie too. You will recall that I showed a recipe a week or 2 ago for little tiny apple pies, easy to make as...pie. So, unfortch, the wife never, um, got around to making the big one, but I made 4 little one--delish! As fas as the banana bread goes, I like it with walnuts and dried cranberries, here is my recipe.

preheat to 350
--use a blender and liquify 2 bananas, pour into a bowl, add an egg, a tbs of lime juice, 1/3 cup cooking oil--stir stir stir
--add to the bowl 1 3/4 cup of flour, 2/3 cup sugar, 2 1/4 teas of baking powder, stir stir stir!
--add raisens or cranberries or blueberries and nuts, up to a cup
--use one large loaf pan, or more fun, 12 muffin pan or 3 small loaflet pans, grease, pour in batter, bake 30-40 minutes (def. more for a big pan) and check--it will look golden brown and cooked and a knife inserted comes out clean
--cool a few then take out of pan, then cool on wire rack, yummo!


(new pottery and baked goods by Gary Rith)

12 comments:

Elizabeth Grimes said...

Mmmmmmm. I LOVE banana bread, and it's one of the few things that I can actually bake!! :)

Lori Buff said...

This sounds yummy but I don't eat bananas for political reasons. I wonder what other fruit would be good in this...maybe apples.

Joyful Things said...

Banana muffins are a staple in our house but I've never put lime juice in them and am intrigued. Can you taste the lime? I am a lover of lime!

Gary's third pottery blog said...

lime gives everything a POP!

Michèle Hastings said...

we add lime to lots of things too... will have to try it in banana bread.

Unknown said...

Sounds really yummy! mmmmmmm

Busy Bee Suz said...

Delish....and a hot cup of coffee in those cool mugs=PERFECT!!!

JB said...

I am impressed with your tea pot too. That little dog is so cute. What a good idea to put the dogs on the mug handles.....I can see a camel version coming up. What an amazing world we live in where a potter on the other side of the world can share images of their work....Now that's amazing. Thanks for commenting on my page cause it lead me to having a look at yours.
Cheers JB

k said...

ok, how do you manage to eat so well and not cut corners with your complex carbs and seem to be getting more and more svelte? Seriously, you do lovely posts on scrumptious desserts yet seem to be getting skinnier and skinnier. Just a matter of camera angles or are you giving away all these treats? lol

Gary's third pottery blog said...

K--I am not trying to get thinner. I am not sick, and I do enjoy eating. Since last winter I have lost most of my appetite for some reason. I would say this, though--carbs are not anybody's enemy. You have to eat something, and for example, me and the wife will have the bowl of porridge with apples for breakfast and split a baby apple pie. It is also true that if you are baking at home with fresh and natural ingredients and whole grains and healthy oils, then you are eating a lot more healthy than buying prepared crap off grocery shelves :)

k said...

Hey, I love your apple recipes. Thanks for responding to my comment. You look good and I hope you're not ill.

k.a. barnes said...

Lime is a great idea! I have so many bananas in my freezer, it looks like I've been murdering gorillas. I keep waiting for Jane Goodall to bust in.

I may try this recipe if I'm feeling better today. Don't know what I'm home sick with- flu or lyme disease. Definitely prefer the other kind of lime.

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.