Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

magnificent apple pies!

I got this recipe from a magazine, probably like Martha St3wart. It is a recipe to make little apple pies with little kids, immensely EASY and with very little other than apples and a little dough, immensely healthy too. It is the opposite of store bought pies, (with a few tiny apples chunks floating in unidentified sauce) and like I say, EASY!!!!!!
I started, of course, with picking apples off the tree across the street and it helps to have a beagle with you when making apple pie.....

Gary's baby apple pies

-prepare dough with half hour to spare:
--use a fork and mix in bowl 1 1/3 cup flour, 1 tbs sugar, 6 tbs. margerine, 5 tbs. water---when it looks doughy and combined, set into fridge for at least half hour

--later that same day! preheat oven to 350
--in another bowl, chop 2 apples, mix in 1 tbs. lime juice, 1 tbs. sugar, 2 tbs. flour, allspice, ground cloves and cinnamon shakes--stir to combine nicely
--take dough out of fridge, form into a sausage, chop into 8 approx. equal parts
--using 4 little pyrex custard cup thingies (or two 4 inch pie pans), line each cup with a dough section--the dough is usually very elastic and easy to pat and push and spread to cover most of the cup
--fill cups with apple mixture, pat down--it should fit into the 4 just right
--pat the remaining 4 dough bits into round patties, press onto top of cups (I am lazy about this but you could be very careful--does not matter!)
--set cups onto baking sheet and bake about 35-45 minutes, until they are nicely golden brown on top, remove from oven and you can top with a pinch of cinnamon sugar, oh boy! let cool, then eat!
--

10 comments:

cookingwithgas said...

oh that looks easy and tasty!
Thanks for sharing!

Michèle Hastings said...

i like the idea of little pies. Jeff and I love apple pie but only make it when we are having guests... a whole pie is too much for two people!

Busy Bee Suz said...

Oh, I could eat four or five of those little pies. But I suppose that is not the point!! Delish!!!!

Unknown said...

I thought I smelled a heavenly aroma...

Mmmmmm....

Lori Buff said...

Bring on the ice cream

Fortune Cookies said...

I've been baking all sorts of apple goodies. We must be on the same wavelength! :)

red dirt girl said...

YUMMY!
xxx

Hilary said...

That looks just delicious.

Anonymous said...

I have seen them made in glass jam jars, then frozen with the top on. Just take it out of the freezer, remove the top and bake away! Super easy and fast for unexpected company or a housewarming gift!

Looks wonderful!

Shannnon

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

Alas, I have no beagle or neighborhood apple tree but I will be making these awesome little pies! Thanks for the recipe Gary. (Oh, and it was another post, but I'm also in favor of polar bears on mugs, bowls, etc.)

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.