Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Penny and the superbig, super scary spider!!!!

Before we talk about the big horrible spider, here is a pot or 2. I told you Elizabeth asked for a berry bowl and I made some with grapes. They are a good medium-large size, holes in the base, with a dish under. You dump in your fruit, rinse it off, drain it a bit, and set it on the dish on the table, voila!
ALSO, I had told you the wife needed a pencil cup, and I was like "make it a beagle!"

OK, let's talk spider...scroll down to look at that monster. Penny wanted to eat it, I would not let her. Later she ate a fly and a moth, so she still had a good day, but what is that thing? I need to check with my pal Erin, otherwise known as Summer. She is, for real, a PHD student of bugs at Cornell...and I am sure she might be able to help with giant arachnids.....
this has basically an unmarked black-grey body, with black-grey legs that have white stripes. ICK!


You might need these mugs, for sale now with other great stuff, at my online etsy gallery!
pair of fantastic blue-green mugs with shells

14 comments:

CiCi said...

What is this, is autumn the season for the creepy crawlies? Penny doesn't seem to mind, though. She is braver than I am.

gz said...

she is a handsome spider!

Gary's third pottery blog said...

its like, the Godzilla of spiders, NOT the friendly Charlotte!

Gary's third pottery blog said...

I think it is a type of orb weaver which narrows it down slightly I s'pose http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orb-weaver_spider

Michèle Hastings said...

we have those spiders too. our neighbor Phil told me a few months ago, when i asked him to get rid of a BIG spider in my bathroom, that the big ones are not the ones to be afraid of... watch out for the little spider... brown recluse.
i still don't want those big ones in the house!

Summer said...

Yes yes, I agree that I think it is an orb weaver. A big-ole female that just laid a million eggs, which is why she looks deflated. My mom always called them "porch spiders." So disappointing to find out that's not an official classification...

Big as a beagle's nose!

Summer said...

OH! It occurs to me that I have kept my name out of all of my blog entries so that it doesn't show up if I'm searched. Can you shorten my name to just first name? Thanks!

Gary's third pottery blog said...

PORCH spider, there on my porch, HA! And, she, like, just had a zillion babies, ON MY PORCH? Crap. My apologies about your name and thank you very much, everybody, for your input :)

Hilary said...

Well I'm not fond of spiders but they keep showing up in posts, this morning. Better there than in my house. Penny sure is staring the little creepy crawly down.

Matt Sutkoski said...

Thank goodness for Penny for keeping the house safe from creepy crawlies. My Jackson;s favorite pursuit is hunting down crickets in the yard.

Stacey B said...

No Penny! Stay away from creepy spider!!!!

Unknown said...

Love the bowl! Love the beagle pencil cup.

No can love the spider: my unconditional love has conditions, knowwhatImean?

Unknown said...

OMG Spiderzilla, Penny watch your nose...gosh a whopper spider for sure...
Really, really, love the pots Gary, we love them! Wonderful, but of course you are wonderful so how could they not be wonderful! :)

Busy Bee Suz said...

Spiders make me want to punch a baby.
Oh, wait, that is really mean.
Spiders make me want to punch a spider!!!!! EEEEKkkk!

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.