Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Saturday, December 26, 2009

"it's just like Christmas morning"

You hear potters say sometimes "opening a finished glaze fired kiln is like CHRISTMAS MORNING". That is because pottery is a bit of a guessing game and what you hope for is a kiln load of beautiful pieces you made and fired, just as you hope for chocolate and stuffed beagles and DVDs in your stocking Christmas morning, not coal.
On Christmas Eve I fired my baby kiln which holds a few small pieces and woke up yesterday on Christmas morning to a first: opening the kiln to gorgeous items was like Christmas morning, on Christmas morning.
In other news, working backwards now, I have a house full of relatives sleeping all over our place. Penny still wanted to get up at 5 something today, and she tried to get our guests up at 5 something today too. Let's just say that although I am not yet sure WHO, one of you SNORES. I am not gonna say anything about fish and guests stinking after 3 days because I am having fun, but that snoring sh!t has GOT TO STOP.
One guest arrived yesterday afternoon and one was already here, but we waited and opened presents after dinner. Seems somewhat saintly to wait all day to open presents, and then we all had to play high stakes cards with pocket change and some of the good whiskey I got in my stocking, and AS USUAL my wife cleared the table and filled her pockets.....


12 comments:

Hilary said...

I love the photo of Spike with all the ribbons. A cat's paradise. :)

denis said...

there's always a snorer in every crowd.

btw, i agree with hilary.

Nicki said...

I love the yellow! Beautiful!

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas!

Busy Bee Suz said...

Looks like Emily had a great day!!!
Snoring? Get some earplugs...that is what I do.
Have fun with your guests!!!!

Busy Bee Suz said...

Or was that Spike? I need name tags on your cats. :)

Gordo said...

Merry Christmas, Gary & Maude!

kate et jim said...

I'm the snorer in my house! But I blame it on Jimbo and so far, everyone has believed it! lol

Merry Christmas!

Icy here.

Real Live Lesbian said...

Oooh beautiful!

soubriquet said...

ooh ooh! freshly opened kiln, shiny shiny!

Cheryl said...

I am intrigued by the items in the kiln. Merry Merry!

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

Hope it was a merry one! Your kiln opening sure looks merry!

Unknown said...

The stuff in the kiln looks wonderful to me -- like bright, gay sunshine on a previously gloomy day. Very beautiful.

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.