Gary's Third Pottery Blog
When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....
WRITE TO ME! firstname.lastname@example.org Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016
Wednesday, November 12, 2014
an unexpected turn.....
I had doodled a complicated teaset on a scrap of paper, all loops and whirls and curlicues and sat down and the clay blob started to spin and....this came out. If I plan something on paper, I don't have any trouble turning it into the clay project I imagined, but somehow as I got started a new and different idea came to mind and I did the opposite of complicated and highly decorated: a minimalist, not a maximalist teaset.
I love fat round shaped pots. (amongst other favorite shapes!) This idea started with thinking about the cup being just a curve but with the groove and small handle, for one finger, the whole thing easily cupped by your wrapped fingers. (you will recall that last week I wrote about dreaming of the cup's handle...and woke up and made the improvement) I was SO pleased with the cup I imagined what would match it, to make a teaset. I first planned to make a clay handle on the side of the teapot, but realized cane over the top would be better. HUZZAH!
(new teaset by Gary Rith)
Posted by Gary's third pottery blog at 5:05 AM
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Me and Missus Tastycakes
ME, the TV interview :)
my etsy gallery
- ► 2016 (324)
- ► 2015 (358)
- open studio, day 2!
- open studio Friday and Saturday!
- stuffed SHELLS not turkey: the vegetarian freak's...
- that pretty pumpkin pie nutmeg-cinnamon color.... ...
- MONSTER and child....
- a gracious and tidy life?
- wouldn't it be nice if.....?
- CRAZY CAT LADIES, when you go shopping, what do YO...
- no, we didn't get 6 feet snow here....
- teapot Tuesday and toads....
- mug shot Monday goes to the ...frogs....
- a little 0rgy of tastiness....
- Over the river and through the woods: looking Chr...
- a day in the life...with YOGI
- mug shot for throwback Thursday....
- an unexpected turn.....
- CURE for the blues: corgis and beagles!
- flower vases with flowers on them...
- green stuff, more of the white stuff (PESTO PIZZA!)
- white stuff....
- when dreams become reality
- arrrgh...searching for silver linings....
- quilting with qats
- post-game recap...
- topsy turvy...
- grand day out...
- ▼ November (29)
- ► 2013 (366)
- ► 2012 (416)
- ► 2011 (413)
- ► 2010 (616)
- Gary's third pottery blog
- I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.
Sometimes we sketch on paper, sometimes in the clay.
The handle and shape look perfect for snuggling in you hands to keep warm.
I love that glaze color too.
now that's a sweet set!
Very nice. It looks like the perfect way to keep your hands warm at brekkie. :)
Post a Comment