WRITE TO ME! email@example.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016
Saturday, June 21, 2014
solstice OR midsummer dreaming
I was wondering just now, having taught it to high schoolers 20 years ago "isn't the solstice the same day that Shakespeare's MIDSUMMER'S NIGHTS DREAM is set in?" and YES, it is true.
"The title is also pretty obvious shout-out to Midsummer's Eve (June 23), or the summer . Elizabethans would have heard this title and thought "party time!" In Shakespeare's day, Midsummer's Eve was all about celebrating fertility (not just the successful planting and harvesting of crops, but also the kind of fertility associated with dating and marriage). It was an excuse to party outdoors and the holiday involved dancing, drinking, and collecting medicinal herbs. For a lot of partiers, Midsummer's Eve was also supposed to be a time of mystery and magic, when spirits ran around causing mischief, and teenage girls had dreams about the guys they'd eventually fall in love with and marry."
So, solstice time used to be considered the MIDDLE of summer, which makes sense. BUT FLIPPIN' SLOW DOWN, I am in NO HURRY for June or summer to pass, right?
In other news, some vases just out of the kiln.... the very light blue glaze there? A new experiment for me which I am quite pleased with. When we bought this house, the bathrooms (and all the rest) had just been painted, and I asked the sellers what the wonderful bathroom color was and the reply "just go to the paint store and choose a nice light minty blue". OH HO! Light minty blue, yes that describes this glaze indeed... have a great Saturday!
(new pottery by Gary Rith)
Me and Missus Tastycakes
ME, the TV interview :)
my etsy gallery
- ► 2016 (324)
- ► 2015 (358)
- mugshot Monday and MMMMmmmm, oh MY.....
- " boil thou first i' the charmed pot!"
- in which your S3XYHAWT blog host STRIPS DOWN TO *N...
- when words fail you...
- at THE PLAZA....
- PIZZA: it's what's for dinnah...
- Teapot Tuesday and twisted pizzas!
- mug shot Monday!
- ripply green...
- solstice OR midsummer dreaming
- "when free isn't cheap enough"
- a cat coffee cup is a pretty poor dog dish when yo...
- a posse of pitchers...
- teapot Tuesday and a terrrrrrible messsssss....
- mug shot Monday: slice and dice....
- why do I have to keep going back to high school?
- so THAT was Friday the 13th...
- in which I become a FAMOUS AUTHOR
- a dollar or 2 more....
- pitchers: career choices involving baseballs and ...
- a twist on teapot Tuesday
- my mugshot Monday... new favorites!
- Snowbird's Cottage
- starry starry night :)
- gluten-free rice tortillas from the beagle test ki...
- Penny = NO cancer :)
- the IDEAL
- finally: HOT!
- Socca to me!
- a favorite or 2...
- ▼ June (30)
- ► 2013 (366)
- ► 2012 (416)
- ► 2011 (413)
- ► 2010 (616)