WRITE TO ME! email@example.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016
Friday, February 21, 2014
GEMS and clowns....
Oh goodness I love these.... I saw notice last week of a FINE show of pottery from the turn of the last century, exotic and art nouveau, etc, at NY's Metropolitan Museum. I hope to go soon, and was thinking I should visit their East Asian pottery too...they have a terrific collection, but what got me more than the Japanese and Chinese gems were the Korean celadons. For my taste it is the most beautiful ceramic work ever made. I have...um...at latest count? 8 green glazes in my studio, 3-4 of which I call celadons. Celadon is basically a glassy (coke bottle!) glaze in a light blue/grey/green shade. It would vary by region in Korea and the rest of the east and around the world, depending on glaze recipes and materials. In this house I am not too strict and consider spring green, jade, light teal/turquoise celadons BUT ANYWAY, you can see the beauty of form, decoration and color that I love....
In OTHER news Yogi came over to clown around Thursday with Penny... the 2 are mighty happy to get out in the 40 degree weather...then he came in to help me make pizzas!
Me and Missus Tastycakes
ME, the TV interview :)
my etsy gallery
- ► 2016 (324)
- ► 2015 (358)
- the bowl thing
- wait, since when does Godzilla have ears...
- bamboo LUST
- when you HELP YERSELF...
- downward dog...
- breakfast with the computer
- GEMS and clowns....
- maybe not spring yet....but thrilling signs of...!
- "life is just a: box of chocolates, bowl of cherri...
- the GOOD thing about winter
- tiny teapots
- just needs flowers....
- "do ya like fudge???"
- Valentine's Day = pairs?
- what's black and white and red all over...?
- that dog, this kitchen...
- designing ladies' handbags...
- meanwhile, back at the ranch
- "life is just a chair of bowlies"
- tall fruity drinks by the poolside...
- NOT moving to Brooklyn or Portland....
- 10-14 inches of whup-ass
- pink and green and God's little jokes....
- speaking of DOGS
- THE LITTLE PRINCE, or the only guy in New York's T...
- Super Bowl: who invited all these tacky people????
- ▼ February (27)
- ► 2013 (366)
- ► 2012 (416)
- ► 2011 (413)
- ► 2010 (616)