BTW, I just ran the wife down to the bus so that she can spend the day in NY city...and GOOD GOLLY the radio said it was 24 degrees....we had a few things yesterday that looked like "snowflakes"...all quite normal, of course, for us, but SIGH....
I am picky about pottery. I like useful items, sure, but my list of what I like to make is short: other than sculpture, I make bowls, cups, teapots and pitchers, sometimes vases and bottles. That is a short list, as any potter who has gone to a craft fair knows: people ask for all kinds of crazy sh!t--the French butter keepers, the French onion soup bowls, the French mustard pots....whatever. I have made a few such items in my life, like toothbrush holders and butter keepers (if you asked me to make things like that for you I would have to like you A LOT, otherwise it would be a polite no), but I really like to make what I like to make, which is usually teapots, as you know, and people are always asking for my piggy banks, but generally, I do NOT like items that have a very specific use, like berry bowls. I prefer BOWLS. That is how I operate in my kitchen, and I do not like to make things I do not use (we use a coffee cup for the toothbrushes). Anyway, I am picky, and I do not know why.
I do not show them here much, but I LOOOOOOVE pitchers, which have a lot of uses, as creamers, ice tea, or for flowers (sure, toothbrush holders too, right?). Here are a few, large and small, just out of the kiln....you can see I am enjoying the underglaze scheme with the swirls!
You probably need a piggy bank, right? For sale now at my etsy shoppe!
Gary's Third Pottery Blog
When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....
WRITE TO ME! email@example.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016
Saturday, October 13, 2012
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Me and Missus Tastycakes
ME, the TV interview :)
my etsy gallery
- ► 2016 (324)
- ► 2015 (358)
- ► 2014 (361)
- ► 2013 (366)
- Halloween = CEMETERIES?
- sidestepping Sandy and Time Warp Tuesday!
- disgusting and despicable
- speaking of frogs....
- the whole dang thing...put together!
- thinking of CHRISTMAS...2 short months from today!
- speaking of Claudia and blackberries...the berry k...
- time warp Tuesday, toddlers and therapy dogs!
- my azz: a BARELY SAFE FOR WORK post....
- blog tourism.....
- the long and winding road....
- speaking of RELIGION and POLITICS....
- if your dog ATE A BAR OF SOAP what might happen?
- killer kalzones!!!!!
- Three Cats for Time warp Tuesday!
- last day of summer....
- the invasion of the cousins....!!!!
- this is why the cat is NOT allowed in the studio...
- picky about pitchers ... and piggies....
- going to extremes....
- Madonna and child, Michelangelo and ME
- BABY ALEX = practice for therapy dogs!
- Time warp Tuesdays!
- ME, in PARIS, with JENNIFER ANNISTON!
- in which my dog PASSES the evaluation ...much to m...
- pork dumplings
- fall colors = LEAVES and beer chili....
- frogs: not just for breakfast anymore
- hospice: speaking of eating cars and end of life ...
- whacked pot....
- ▼ October (32)
- ► 2011 (413)
- ► 2010 (616)
- Gary's third pottery blog
- I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.
What pray tell is this heavenly glaze used in the top left pitcher? I LOVE IT. Is it purple-y? I know blue/purple can be hard to photograph.
It IS my purple, which is accurately pictured, but has never fired looking like this, yeOW!
Your imagination is never ending!! awesome stuff!
The little ones would be great for maple syrup. Which, in turn, would be great for pancakes and waffles. Win win.
have always thought it's best to make what's 'you', not what everyone else wants. yes, I'm amazed at the requests too---- and think it's so important for each to have their own style!
I agree with you, I mostly like multi-purpose pots, and ones that can store easily.
and as far as piggy banks go... EVERYONE NEEDS ONE
(or maybe even two).
Definitely a small vase or pitcher is an excellent toothbrush holder (well, it is if you have a place to safely set it... darn pedestal sink!!)
I love LOVE love the glazing and design on that pitcher, top photo, left-hand side. It is truly beauteous.
Pitchers for maple syrup, pitchers for cream for the coffee (my DIL only uses soy products, but I like to use real cream), pitchers to use for sauces at the dinner table...
Post a Comment