WRITE TO ME! firstname.lastname@example.org Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016
Thursday, September 27, 2012
up to our ears in apples...
You will recall, of course, this time last year: the apple tree across the street went bananas and produced a gazillion apples that our neighbors let us pick and eat, MILLIONS of apples. For pie, jam, apple sauce.
This year an April snow storm and cold snap killed off a lot of New York states apple blossoms :(
The crop is a lot smaller, but still pretty abundant at orchards (not at my neighbor's though!).
I have made a lot of apple sauce, because it is shockingly tasty, and turns your everyday oatmeal into something that tastes like apple pie. And the house when you make it? Smells like apple pie!
Anyway, somewhere this week I came across a slow cooker crock pot apple butter recipe. Apple butter is simply extra EXTRA thick apple sauce used as jam on your toast. I see this recipe and I am like "this is soooooo easy, I have to try it!" and I did....goshdarnit, tis perfect! **recipe as I did it below, and conveniently it goes well with beer bread....
Halfway cooked...I was amazed, just simmering all day was breaking it all down and turning it into a jam-like substance...
well, I had to get some glaze work done too, DUH! I ask myself "why do you put yourself in all these pictures?" and I tell myself "well, its my blog, who wants to look at just pictures of APPLES?".
**apple butter, as Gary made it! produced 4 cups (bigger recipe would produce MORE)
6-8 large apples, cored and diced---(I used cortlands...we live next to the town of Cortland)
2 cups sugar
lots of nutmeg, cinnamon, ground cloves
3/4 cup water
Fill crock pot 3/4 full with apples. That was 6 for me, but as the stuff cooked it looked to me like I could have packed some more in there. Oh well! Original recipe calls for peeling apples, but I never do that and it did not seem to matter at all.
Stir into apples the water, sugar and spice, set crock pot on low, cook all day (10-12 hours) and give it the occasional stir.
If late in the day it is still watery looking (mine was NOT, it really looked beautiful and thick) the original recipe says you can remove the cover and turn to high and stir often. Which is basically what you would do with stovetop cooking of apple butter.
Sterilize jars and lids, as you would for jam, then can it! Sooooooooooo easy! The easiest jam you have ever made!
Me and Missus Tastycakes
ME, the TV interview :)
my etsy gallery
- ► 2016 (324)
- ► 2015 (358)
- ► 2014 (361)
- ► 2013 (366)
- last day....
- of travel, quests, and OBSESSION
- "we're on a mission from..."
- up to our ears in apples...
- the whole kit and caboodle
- to celebrate TWENTY (20!!!!) years of wedded bliss...
- maybe it was just a huge mouse....
- a spoon
- the first day and the first 99.9 percent....
- "I am tired of pickets"
- "no candy stripes this time"
- makin' it fer yerself :)
- getting there....
- the odds and ends of life....
- Garrulous Gary...?
- color coordinating the neighborhood
- the house formerly known as the purple house....
- Like watching paint dry.....
- Going GREEN
- purple house: the final chapter
- life in the fast lane....
- penguin pajamas to pancakes: 24 hours....
- trust me, it is PURPLE....but not for long....
- pachyderms on parade!
- more BATSH!T crazy
- after my little bit of drama.....
- insanity, the sheriff's offenders registry, "forci...
- attack of the killer tomatoes!
- "you look like a runner": in which I race my azz ...
- playing possum....
- somtimes you are biking and you buy a chair...and ...
- ▼ September (33)
- ► 2011 (413)
- ► 2010 (616)