Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Saturday, September 8, 2012

trust me, it is PURPLE....but not for long....

Our neighbors tell visitors "we are across from the purple house".  Our house is THAT famous.  Strangers stop and take its picture.  People have no idea who I am, but they KNOW MY HOUSE.

Our purple house sometimes photographs blue..but believe me, it is a beautiful bright purple, painted by the last owners 7 years ago to match the pretty iris out front every June. We first saw the place on a grey and muddy day in March and we loooooovvvvved it. Still do.
 But it is not my favorite color for a house. Last year we saw some peeling around the windows with the wasabi yellow trim color, started talking about paint repairs and said "let's go whole hog!". Other neighbors of ours were painting and fixing their place up last year and told us "wish we had done this just for ourselves to enjoy, not just for a new owner!". And there is a lot to that. Doing what you like with the house to continue enjoying it.
We looked at the paint schemes in brochures and thought of light green with cream and brownish-brick red around the windows, a VERY common color scheme for houses around here.  Then we saw one place that was different from that but still very tasteful AND in my favorite 2 colors:  spring green and periwinkle blue (see sugar bowl below! that is EXACTLY it).
The new scheme will be spring green for the house, with a line of cream around the windows and the window frames periwinkle blue, doors blue too.  Gorgeous!

SO, I tell the wife "last chance, perhaps, to get our picture in front of a purple house". Because this week the dude who painted the house 7 years ago comes back, brushes in hand....more later...... :)
 

You would KILL for my corn salsa and guac...I know I WOULD....


The usual thing is, you hear a CRASH and go to find out what caused it, and there is a cat  looking mild and innocent....Spike likes dog treats, and broke into the dog cupboard again...which is why it is locked....this is how a cat keeps his chubby figure chubby....

12 comments:

kate and jim said...

I think it'll look fabulous, Gary! Great color choice.

Michèle Hastings said...

I will miss seeing pics of your purple house but I agree that it will still be unique and beautiful in the new color scheme.

Cheryl said...

Oooh...cannot wait to see the newly painted house! Sounds like a winner to me!

Little Miss Sunshine State said...

Oooh Spike! You are so busted!

Love your sunflowers on the railing.

cookingwithgas said...

Good-bye to your purple house and Hello spring colors!

Denis said...

Can't wait to see the new house. Glad you are not painting it white.

cm said...

B wants to know if you can just glaze the house. Maybe the porch? He'll build a structure around it and rent some heaters and turn 'em up real high. He says you'd never have to paint again. I say the man is mad.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

turn up those heaters REAL HIGH :) then I would definately have the colors I want!

smalltownme said...

Spike is so smart, like my Homer!

Janet said...

those colors go beautifully together. I chose the same scheme for my parents' kitchen and it looked gorgeous!

Hilary said...

I have always loved blue and green together.. and especially those two tones. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Busy Bee Suz said...

I love your purple house....can't wait to see the new color scheme though. I hope your neighbors aren't going to be upset...now none of their peeps will be able to find them. :)

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.