Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Thursday, September 27, 2012

punkin'

Pumpkin pie and golden maple trees, oh YES!
Our back yard.  Sheesh its gorgeous, hmm??? I am surprising the wife this afternoon with my first ever pumpkin pie....made with no gluten in the crust and no dairy either.  ***Recipes follow, I made granola, then a granola pie crust then pumpkin pie....busy day, hmm?
The wife loves pumpkin pie and I thought I should try it...




dog and bone sculpted wall piece3 little pigs wall sculpturerobot potgrapes bowlyou probably need some of my new pots, at my etsy gallery now!cow jumping over the moon wall piece


***
gluten-free granola 


  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 2 tablespoons light butter, melted
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups uncooked regular oats
  • 1/2 cup oat flour
  • 1/3 cup sliced almonds
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

Preparation

  1. 1. Stir together honey and next 2 ingredients in a small bowl. Stir together oats, flour, sliced almonds, and salt in a large bowl. Add honey mixture to oatmeal mixture, stirring until combined. Spread oat mixture onto a lightly greased baking sheet.
  2. 2. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes, stirring often.


GRANOLA PIE CRUST

1/2 c. butter, melted
1 1/2 c. granola
1/3 c. chopped nuts
3 tbsp. brown sugar

Mix together all ingredients. Press into 8 inch pie pan and chill until set. This is a never fail recipe.


Pumpkin pie with soy milk


Ingredients

  •  3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
  • can (15 oz.) pumpkin
  • 1 1/4 cups soy milk (10 oz.)
  • large eggs
  • Pastry for a single-crust 9-inch pie, purchased (thawed if frozen) or homemade
  1. to prepare:
  2. 1. In a large bowl, mix sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. Add pumpkin, soy milk, and eggs; whisk until well blended. Pour mixture into unbaked pastry in pan.
  3. 2. Set pie on bottom rack of a 425° regular or convection oven. Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce temperature to 350°; continue baking until center of pie is set and a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 45 minutes longer.
  4. 3. Set pie on a rack until cool, at least 2 hours. After serving, chill pie airtight.

5 comments:

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

Hello!!!! Granola Pie crust! Just another genius idea that you've discovered and I am going to steal. Pumpkin pie is one of my favorites...especially good for breakfast!

smalltownme said...

Oh yum....and I'm thinking that granola crust might also be just the thing under a cheesecake.

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

A soy milk pumpkin pie is also perfect for someone following a kosher diet. :)
I know it is tastier than one made with almond milk, although I've made those when desperate. Dealing with food allergies makes for creative cooks!

I LOVE the idea of a granola crust. Must. Try. It! My homemade granola was always gluten free (without meaning to be, that is).

Busy Bee Suz said...

Fall trees?!? * Swoon*
I love pumpkin pie too....the wife is one lucky lady!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

The granola crust sounds like an amazing fit with pumpkin. The missus is one lucky lady for sure!

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.