Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Thursday, September 20, 2012

"no candy stripes this time"

Our excellent house painter, who is actually a contractor with many capabilities AND the former owner of this house and a rehabber was talking with me about the last stage of painting our house.  I am like
"Let's just paint the whole garage the green.  No details please."  The garage is an old barn structure that had been tacked onto the house some years ago.  There is a picture of our house 100 years ago over at our PO and you see the small building that would become the garage in the back yard, a barn at that time.  Anyway, when he painted the house bright purple several years ago, it included, as you will recall, a striped garage.  So, as Stephen put it the other day:
"OK, paint the garage all one color, no candy stripes this time" and he seemed perhaps disappointed that we would go with such a bland and ordinary color scheme....
Stephen moves on to the final color number 4 today, a dark grey-blue-green for the foundation, decks, fence...but the house is basically done :)


I teased you yesterday by letting you see the new house signs in the top of the kiln, cooling.  One is a dog telling you to go around to the side door, which replaces the raggeddy card in the window....


The 540 Main tile was, of course, authentically modeled after.....


You will recall yesterday I was talking about focaccia and trying a pepper-onion focaccia!  OHMYGOODNESS it is so easy and superb....




13 comments:

kate and jim said...

The house looks fantastic, Gary. You and Maude chose wonderful colors. Can't wait to see the base and fencing!

Barbara Rogers said...

Great house painting...and now just needs the touch of those little signs!

Lori Buff said...

The signs are great. I have been meaning to make house numbers on tiles for a couple of years. I'm feeling inspired.

Michèle Hastings said...

focaccia looks fabulous... I started making it last year, so quick and easy.

Unknown said...

Your new colours look fabulous and that those little house signs are awesome.

Joyful Things said...

While I quite liked the purple I have to say that this color combo is so very nice - complete with the terrific ceramic signs.

smalltownme said...

Everything is looking good

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

Every cute house needs a cute beagle on the porch!

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

Or in my case, a cute cat.

Busy Bee Suz said...

the pizza looks amazing...and the house??? awesome!
I made yummy stuffed 'shrooms tonight....loving my veggies as well!

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

I didn't realize your painter was the previous owner!! I hope he knows there are many fans of his purple and wasabi color scheme, from all over the world!

(I'll be a little sorry to not see pics of a purple house nestled in the snow this year... but I have no doubt the spring green will look fabulous with purple irises!)

cm said...

B and I love the new colour scheme. And the signs, awesome!

cm said...

Where do you place your bread to raise it? Living in a drafty house without a cast iron stove, I've no idea where to put mine.

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.