Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

NOT lettuce, cabbage or flowers, but.....



You have to be careful what you say when you are a blogger. What I mean is, you post about one thing, and all day long people focus on one little detail in their comments, something you don't care about, or simply the wrong idea or whatever....the hazard of being a blogger who throws a lot of baloney together, right?  WELL anyway, i really love these pieces.  I made the bowls below after seeing an old clipped out magazine page recipe the wife had...the bowl was very, how to describe it?  Rippled?  Scalloped?  And I wanted to make my own version...and so I did....realizing this spring green and blue glaze combo is perfect for it.  THEN of course it seemed like it would be a suitable style for cups and saucers too!
OK, but if I tell you that I look at these pics now and joke to myself "haha, they look like cabbage! or lettuce, or flowers, or leaves!" then all day long everybody will be like "oh, you wanted to make pots like salad..."
Well, no.  It just happened, and that is funny :)

(pottery by Gary Rith)

12 comments:

Lori Buff said...

What's wrong with salad bowls..ha. They look great, love the glaze.

Barbara Rogers said...

Definitely not cabbage! Lovely nests for delicious something. And the piggies are precious. I noticed you didn't speak of them...mmmm?

Michèle Hastings said...

the cups and saucers are the sweetest! i would have a hard time parting with them.

~ Sil in Corea said...

I like them, and would call the design "ruffles" except that name is already trademarked. ;-)

Elizabeth Grimes said...

It sort of reminds me of leaves. In a good way for sure. I think they're lovely!

Gary's third pottery blog said...

Meesh has it right: how can I possibly let the cups and saucers GO???? Crapola I love them...and the cupboard is full of cups ... buuuuut....

Gary's third pottery blog said...

Meesh has it right: how can I possibly let the cups and saucers GO???? Crapola I love them...and the cupboard is full of cups ... buuuuut....

Joyful Things said...

I love those little porkers! Keep them for yourself - you can make more for everyone else.

Joe Troncale said...

I would keep the piggies until you are mentally ready to let go of them...
I think you should describe your bowls as "undulating." I think that sounds very sophisticated and snobby.
The pigs, however, do not fit with "undulating." The piggies would go more with "swelling" or "wrinkles."
Keep up the good work!

Unknown said...

I think the bowls are lovely!

I would love to be able to own a set, in order to use them for food styling/fabulous fotography on my blog.

If/when the money truck pulls up and dumps us a load, my friend.
Unless you want to barter...
I link to you? Talk about your lovely pottery on my blog? Give you an ad on my blog for several months?

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

Those bowls are fabulous!!!!

cookingwithgas said...

they are tasty looking

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.