Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

beautiful food


Years ago when I was wooing the wife, I made a breakfast roll that a neighbor had shared with me, I called him Mosshead.  Mosshead had a lot of great qualities although he was a weirdo too, a hoarder before there were hoarders.  But he taught me to make a Scandanavian breakfast roll that could charm the pants off any lady, and naturally,  I used them to do just that ;)


I think the whole idea of making little cat pastries is hilarious too, here is the background:


"A Swedish Tradition On 13 December the Swedes celebrate the Italian Saint Lucia with a remarkable enthusiasm, surpassing any Italian festivities devoted to the same lady. One mandatory constituent in the celebrations is a saffron-flavoured bun, in Swedish called a lussekatt, a "Lucia cat". The shape of this bun might vary somewhat, but is always based on bread designs dating back to earlier Christmas celebrations in Sweden. 
Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/saint-lucia-buns-lussekatter-saffron-buns-43784#ixzz1vgcbqJdC"


There are different recipes for St Lucia's Cats but this one is pretty good and pretty close to what I do, and simple too! I sometimes bake with eggs, but they are easily made vegan and with a cinnamon sugar coating rather than egg white.


another version of the recipe, maybe easier to understand, very close to what I make http://www.writingatthekitchentable.com/2007/12/st-lucia-day.html

In other news, me and the pup had the hike late Tuesday...oh gosh, it was glorious out before the thunder and lightening and all!





9 comments:

Lori Buff said...

Those sound delicious, and what a nice presentation with your plate and mug.
It looks like you and Penny are really enjoying the spring weather.

Joe Troncale said...

Thanks for the recipe! Those rolls look fantastic!!! The history is even better!!!

Michèle Hastings said...

those look yummy and cute!
everything is looking green over there, glad to see you are out and enjoying it with Penny.

Barbara Rogers said...

What delicious looking rolls...I looked at the recipe, to see if it was possible I could make it. Probably not till I get someone who's a math genius (I'm thinking a grand-person) to translate all those grams into cups...which means change a weight into a volume. Kind of beyond my abilities. How did you do it?
And on your comment as to "who taught you?" thanks for answering. Who was the first one?

Barbara Rogers said...

Thanks for the easier recipe (on comments on my blog) and answering my question. Good for you!

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

Nice buns! Um...Err... Cute buns.....oh geez....

Those look great!

DirtKicker Pottery said...

Hi Gary :) Those rolls are so cute. Im going to make some for my grandkids.

Julia said...

Thanks for the recipe! The pictures along made my mouth water. I'll be over for cats and coffee later :) Ah! That would be a great name for a coffee shop!

Vicki Wenderlich said...

I bookmarked that recipe, it looks so good I may make the effort of baking my own... someday! I can dream.

And I always love seeing pics of you and your beagle on the trails... often on some of my favorite trails from the past two summers! I'm a bit sad I didn't make it up there this year.

Cheers!

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.