Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Friday, June 3, 2011

"I forget I am married to a star"

The wife is watching these videos of ME making stuff and she tells me
"I forget that I am married to a rock star". To which I reply humbly "Its just a mug!".

The first video I am making the mustache mug for Suz. Her daughter is a student, so I am making it bigger than my usual mug. She will be needing a lot of coffee :) I watched it later and realized
a) I made the mug in just a minute then fiddled and fussed with it for another minute and
b) there are all these little things I do I don't think about while I am working and
c) potters may nod at the bit where I scrape a bit off the bottom, then try for that ONE LAST pull, to get ONE MORE half inch of height...
its a quick video, then the second shows painting underglaze onto a zombie mug--it will get greenish and pinkish color later plus a clear glaze coat on top, and the final video is Spike cat ...






9 comments:

~ Sil in Corea said...

Very good! I love to watch a skillful craftsman at work! :-)
I'll be watching to see how that cup comes along, with the glaze and firing.

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

contented potter, contented cat

What a life you lead! :)

Michèle Hastings said...

i enjoyed the painting video... i have never used underglaze so it was good to see your technique.

Unknown said...

Love the videos thanks for sharing! Have a great day!

Reverend Awesome said...

Do you listen to a certain type of music when you make different things?
Watching a mug form from a lump of clay is magical.

Unknown said...

Spike is toying with you. World domination is just around the corner.

I loved watching that mug be formed.

Rock stars can be tough to live with: stay humble. Spike will soon humble you, otherwise.

red dirt girl said...

that is one scary looking snake. i for one am happy it came to a gory end. no apologies. no sireee.

just an update: oldest mulette will be a 'Texas Longhorn' next year. He'll be attending UT in Austin, Tx. At the end of the day, deep pockets dad refused to come up with the tuition to Duke...

xxx

Unknown said...

Wonderful, wonderful....so interesting to see how each of us throws! The same yet so different! Gosh, crank up those tunes. When I throw you can hear our music down the block! hahhahahahaha!
Spike is so way silly, he is master predator! :)

bartster said...

Thanks for the video--My wife wondered about the musical background. As I'm back throwing after several months,I found the throwing video helpful and one to consult regularly! Cheers.

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.