Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Subaru Saturday....


I drove a million miles all over NY state last week, delivering items here and there. A week ago we drove past the community where I went to high school, and the car lot where we have bought all our cars (even when we lived out of state) there was a 72 VW bug. I looked it up online when we got home. For kicks. Only 4 thou! The car lot has been there 44 years. The owners are still youthful, but suddenly very grey---they were my neighbors when I was in school, and their daughter Heather (A KNOCKOUT) was a year ahead of me, Lisa, (awesome) in my grade, and son Peter 2 years younger than me. We like and trust this family car dealer and he gives you a guarentee on a used car.

The town where I ended my high school career and where my parents have lived for decades is about an hour and a half from our place, but I went over Tuesday night to look at cars. I was talking to the wife about VWs on the cell while I was there. She was NOT going for the VW idea. She really really wanted to think more like little sedan subaru.
The point with our old green subaru outback is this: it just passed inspection, and we either keep it until it collapses (and in recent months it has suddenly developed a lot of rust and strange smells, noises and leaks) or try to trade it in while it is worth a few bucks. Our last car collapsed into a noisy heap in the driveway, and was towed off as a donation to the kidney foundation.
We took the last drive in the green outback yesterday morning and bought the new (to US!) used silver subaru sedan. Holy cats it is sharp and the price was excellent, and it has new tires and brakes and feels new. The green car never let us down. But it was time. And we stayed with subaru because they never let us down, and this is a snowy place---you really like that all wheel drive.
So we took our first road trip to Purity Ice Cream, which for the first time ever has ice cream I can eat, dairy free soy! I had cookie dough and holy cats tis good...


8 comments:

CiCi said...

Congrats on the new car. It does look like it is new. And it will be great for carrying the pottery. I know what you mean about needing a car that is safe driving in snow. Is the car an automatic? My little car is a five speed with front wheel drive, had to buy it here because the car we brought from CA wasn't doing it in the snow. Especially on an uphill road. Glad to know there is ice cream that is lactose free out there. Yay.

Reverend Awesome said...

Congratulations! The new car looks great!
The Beast (Will's car) is a Subaru. He and the girls just love it. That ice cream place looks great!

Michèle Hastings said...

i once owned a bright orange '71 VW bug... sold it in '81 for $500!!! john had a green subaru just like yours... he loved it. i think it was a 1997. after he died i sold it to my sister for her kids to use... unfortunately it only lasted another year. (i think it was heartbroken without john).
have fun with your new ride!

Unknown said...

Yeah, new ride looks great! :) Love the ice cream place too...great celebrations. Looks like Spike even got a new ride..! lol lol lol...:) or is that a new bed for Spike? Hard to tell with cats...:) lol lol lol...!

Anonymous said...

I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

God Bless You ~Ron

Unknown said...

A spiffy new car AND ice cream?! Sounds like a fantastic weekend! :)

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new car!
My sister is also a dedicated Subaru owner.
SuperDad looked at one, but ended up with the Honda Element which works better for him (plus SnakeMaster really, really, really hopes it will be HIS someday).

Emily SIL said...

Emily kitten looks like she's pissed off that Spike got such a cute picture in the blog today.

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.