Cornell has, of course, a huge agriculture program, and along with the donkeys, horses, cows and such on campus, there is a rather spectacular orchard. We got a boatload of these A PLUS green apples called shizuka, probably the tastiest apple EVER....
have a great Monday, catcha later!
Gary's Third Pottery Blog
When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....
WRITE TO ME! email@example.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016
Monday, October 10, 2011
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Me and Missus Tastycakes
ME, the TV interview :)
my etsy gallery
- ► 2016 (324)
- ► 2015 (358)
- ► 2014 (361)
- ► 2013 (366)
- ► 2012 (416)
- how do you do Halloween?
- Michelle GOES BLOND
- yellow tea set = mega-happiness....
- inventing tostadas......
- applesauce muffins for snowy days.....
- message from a SQUIRREL......
- how to make a potter super happy
- "dead squirrel in the middle of the road..."
- p!ssing off a potter.....
- le hike grande*
- Sunday ahoy!
- Second City, maybe the best evening ever?????
- adorable dogs and cats and elephants....
- a public service reminder.....
- telling people you are making pots like flowers
- my most important blog post EVER...with haiku!
- a question for you: MOVIES, how do you watch???????
- Christmas is at least 5 months long, maybe longer?
- the Joy of banana bread...
- OKTOBERFEST and then some....
- around and around they go.....
- like flowers :)
- a question for you on the tyranny of shopping....
- apples coming out of our ears!!!
- picnic with le dawg....
- slacker, c'est moi
- the tastiest apples EVER
- Oktoberfest ahoy!
- PERFECT DAY
- plotting an exquisite weekend :)
- in which my imaginary long lost uncle finally dies...
- Penny and the superbig, super scary spider!!!!
- the wife was WRONG
- magnificent apple pies!
- UNmentionables and YOU
- cracked rear view with pink lacey undies
- le tiny ROAD TRIP
- oh boy!
- ▼ October (38)
- ► 2010 (616)
- Gary's third pottery blog
- I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.
I googled shizuka apple history- very interesting, this is one of the links
and this another
Interesting that it is a sister to Mutsu/Crispin but a little less acid and both bred in Japan. I haven't found what the full parentage is, but both are half Golden Delicious (which is only really so when eaten ripe from the tree!) It looks to be fairly disease resistant, BUT as a triploid (like Bramley) I wouldn't give it room in a small orchard
Oh, does that mean apple pies are on the menu again???? **JEALOUS**
I love apple pie...and I've never been to an apple orchard. But I have been to plenty of orange groves. :)
Have a great day!
shizuka- that is a new apple for me. can't wait to see what you bake next...
Now I'm getting hungry for some pie again. Or maybe just apples and cinnamon in my yogurt.
I nearly made an apple pie yesterday... instead, I made 3 pumpkin pies. Two of them are already GONE. (Okay, so we did have company last night, but that is how fast pies are eaten at my house.)
For the record, I only had one slice.
Maybe I will make some apple crisp tomorrow?
Post a Comment