|How do you measure wealth? I joked the other day "you have to lock your car in summer because otherwise people will put bags of free zuccini in there". The wife tells me the other day "we're rich!" not because of powerball, but because a guy at her office gave her 4 cucumbers, and since the other lady in the office was like "I have a mountain of them at home too", we got a second bunch. What do you do with 8 cucumbers? I don't pickle, but I do have superb recipes. I made my version of Thai Cucumber salad.|
When I first moved to Chicago in 1988 there was a wonderful Thai restaurant across the street. They always gave you a little dish of their cucumber salad with whatever you ordered. It was beautiful and tasty, and I happened to see the recipe in a cook book I bought in 1991. This recipe is superb too. I have NO idea what fish sauce is and do not plan to learn, so I use BBQ sauce, or ketchup of chili sauce. You can also use cilantro instead of oregano, but I never seem to have any. I have another cucumber recipe coming to this blog soon...as you might imagine......
combine in small bowl: 3 tbs lime juice, one or 2 tablespoons of garlic minced, a few shakes dried oregano, one tbs sesame oil, 3 tbs BBQ sauce, or chili sauce or ketchup, 2 tbs sugr, many shakes of dried pepper flakes----stir and set aside at least half an hour--do not add to cucumber mixture until you are about to serve
combine in nice serving bowl: 2 small cucumbers, sliced thin, 1/2 cup red onion sliced fine, 1/2 of a bell pepper--yellow, orange or red, sliced into matchsticks----mix in bowl, and when ready to serve, pour the liquid dressing on top, stir around, top with sesame seeds
WRITE TO ME! email@example.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016
Friday, August 5, 2011
Me and Missus Tastycakes
ME, the TV interview :)
my etsy gallery
- ► 2016 (324)
- ► 2015 (358)
- ► 2014 (361)
- ► 2013 (366)
- ► 2012 (416)
- the MOTHER of all cute little pots.....
- boatload of CLPs
- speaking of peaches...
- CLP and BFF
- CLP or the little gem....
- party party par-TAY!
- blood and guts, skull and crossbones....
- the story of wee Johnny
- more wag, LESS BARK!
- a cat's tail.......
- grand day out at the fair.....
- Saturday = Rotten Groton!
- Thursday night art par-TAY!
- killer eggplant!
- making a little gem.....
- keeping it simple!
- beauty and beastliness...
- off to Aurora where I was a VERY BIG DEAL....
- all that and muffins too
- Chinese-ish cucumber salad with the tri-color menace
- the tiger is DEAD!
- heading to the zoo and other such shows.....
- fistfuls of tums....the haiku
- sleeping beauty.....and beastie bowls!
- Mickey and Minnie GO DOWN
- blogging anniversary: 5 years?! 5000+ posts.......
- "we're RICH!"
- probably the biggest cat you have ever seen in you...
- bunch of beastie bowls
- "Le Lapin Mechant" by Tardy Rearwhig
- rotten Groton and the BEASTIE BOWLS
- roasting veggies....
- turquoise bowl and then some....
- Buster Boo
- over in Aurora.....
- ▼ August (36)
- ► 2010 (616)