Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Saturday, November 9, 2013

making calzones with cats!



Oh yes! And dogs!  And they are gluten-free CALZONES????

I was looking for pizza made with an actual rice crust and along the way came across a woman who made gluten-free calzones AND, further, made them with spinach and artichoke! (click here)
HER brilliant idea was to combine calzones with a favorite spinach-artichoke dip!!!!

What is a calzone?  They are not everywhere around the US, I have found, but it is a pizza tart, or a pizza turnover, or a stuffed pizza. Some people are used to having them lain out on a plate and covered with tomato sauce, others make an enormous one and slice them into servings, but I fall into the last, and most basic category:  I like them to be a tidy little package, all by themself, one calzone for one person at one meal.  I have made millions of calzones in my life, but this was a first:  gluten-free! And they are SO pretty and tasty...

They do best if the stuffing is not too wet, meaning, go light on the sauce if that is what you use, BUT this recipe is brilliant for not having any sauce at all, just cheese, spinach, artichoke then MORE cheese.  I also found that the crust needed more flour than she suggests in the recipe. I cannot have cheese at all, so used a little fake cheese (daiya) and instead of ricotta tossed in diced onion and mushroom OH MAN they are brilliantly tasty.... then the best part?  Day 2, pulling out another one for dinner...I LOVE it when dinner is just sitting in the fridge waiting for you to warm it up and pour a cold glass of joy...
have a great Saturday!

1 comment:

As Good As Gluten said...

Gary, I am so glad you tried my calzones and love them! Thanks so much for letting me know and linking back.

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.