Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Friday, November 8, 2013

gluten-free pumpkin bread to DIE FOR



Actually, it will keep you ALIVE AND HAPPY.
What does celiac disease/gluten intolerance feel like?  It feels like a lot of things, one of the most prominent is YOU ATE A BOWL OF RAZOR blades.  And it feels like that most of the day.  I have read of others with celiac saying "its like a belly full of broken glass".  OK, so let's just say that celiac is like a poisen ivy salad with razor blades topped with broken glass croutons.

I tell the wife "The opposite of a belly full of razor blades is what happens when you eat a banana, or apple sauce or RICE.  I LOVE RICE.  You have this gentle and soothing feeling in your belly!"

When you bake gluten-free there are all kinds of exotic and expensive flours:  chickpea, almond, gf all-purpose mix, etc.  My favorite, when it works for the recipe, is brown rice flour.  DANG it works easily, and has so much more nutrition than wheat flour.  I use chickpea and all purpose gf flours for many things, but the cheapest and most versatile is usually brown rice flour, and I have made tortillas, bread, muffins, pancakes, etc with it.

I looked up gf pumpkin bread yesterday and came up with a LOT OF COMPLICATED RECIPES.
Then I saw this young dudes' recipe (click here!).  A 16 year old blogger and home chef with celiac who adapted this recipe, WOW is it delicious, and as he says, nobody would ever know it was not the usual pumpkin bread.

He uses a lot of sugar and eggs, OH WELL, it is for 2 loaves and it is flippin' DELISH.
Here it is, with the changes I made added in:

Ingredients: 

  • 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup apple sauce 
  • 2/3 cup water
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 2 1/2 cups sugar
  • 3 1/2 cups GF flour (I used Arrowhead Mills Organic Brown Rice Flour)-- (Gary used Bob's red mill brown rice flour)
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice (Gary used ground cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon)
  • (Gary also added 3/4 cup walnuts and 3/4 cup raisins)

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a large loaf pan and fill about 3/4th of the way since it will rise. If you have left over batter, use muffin tins and put in for half the time of the loaf. (Gary just greased 2 5x9 large loaf pans--they were FILLED, but remember, he added nuts, raisins)
  2. Combine pumpkin, eggs, apple sauce, water, vanilla and sugar until well blended.
  3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice until well combined.
  4. Stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just blended. (this is where Gary stirred in the raisins and nuts) Pour batter into the prepared pans.
  5. Bake in preheated oven for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. 
- See more at: http://glutenaway.blogspot.com/2013/10/amazing-and-easy-gluten-free-pumpkin.html#sthash.rgbgQ9UM.dpuf




5 comments:

smartcat said...

Pets for Pumpkin! Sounds delicious!

Lori Buff said...

Sounds delicious. I wonder if you could use more applesauce and less egg?

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

Sounds and looks amazing. I'll definitely give it a try. I don't have celiac but going gluten free has made many of my sad stomach problems disappear. I got into a bit of an argument yesterday with my best friend's husband who thinks that going gluten free is a "convenient fad." I proceeded to tell him there was nothing convenient (although it is much easier now) about it and as far as a fad goes, if not having a stomach ache or having to run for the terlet is a fad, then I'll take it. Why it matters to him (other than the fact that he is a pompous wind bag, is beyond me.) I'm trying tortillas and also your sweet potato black bean enchiladas next week. Thanks for the great recipes!

JLK Jewelry said...

That looks great, and I just made pearsauce so that would be a perfect use for it. GF is not as hard as people make it out to be, and it is getting better!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Mmmmm, pumpkin bread.

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.