WRITE TO ME! firstname.lastname@example.org Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016
Sunday, August 5, 2012
day of the ZUCCHINI
I think zucchini is just one of those veggies that is a blank slate, you can a bunch of AWESOME things with it. And in August you do ALOT with it!
We went to Amy and Dave's farm Friday night. Holy cats we ended up with a boatload of veggies, including some zucchini FOOTBALLS. Beautiful huge, and we were ready for them.
Amy and Dave have a gorgeous farm near us, nice view, and look at the veggies down there. We had to get some peppers from our other favorite farm, Indian Creek. They had these GORGEOUS bell peppers they had grown (and I love peppers of all kinds). I wanted colors for zucchini relish, and they had purple and black. The utility peppers were totally beautiful and unblemished...and 50 cents a pound or best offer! I got a huge box of peppers for 50 cents....the black is a deep purple with a pretty wasabi green color inside....
Anyway, our history with zucchini relish is like this: one summer nearly 15 years ago, a stranger at a farmer's market, and this is totally true AND also a story like Garrison Keillor there in Minnesota, comes up, gives me a big jar of zucchini relish and a recipe. "Here is the recipe you asked for and a jar I made last week!". I had no idea who she was or what zucchini relish was, but we took it and ate it.
Her relish was all green, but I like this multi-colored many vegetable zucchini relish, it is like you go to the Indian restaurant and they put all these delightful and mysterious chutneys on the table and they are delicious...other than chopping and grating, it is VERY EASY.
My creamy zucchini pasta recipe is a little like this one, but I make mine vegan, you know? With added tomato and peas, as i say....go nuts yourself! Easy tasty!
And a good friend introduced us to this AMAZING zucchini bread recipe, it is SO yummy, and soon I will wake up the wife and we will eat some....
Saturday the wife and I went to Cass Park to bike all morning and find all the corners and spots we did not know were there before, then after, as I say, Indian Creek farm, we went to the big antiques place,,,,and I found the holy grail! For years I have wanted to find the little rolling beagle toy I had as a toddler. YEARS! And there was one...five BUCKS, perfect almost new condition, made in USA in 1967....there were 2 others, NOT in good shape, also 5 bucks, and that made me feel like I was a WINNER.
- ► 2016 (324)
- ► 2015 (358)
- ► 2014 (361)
- ► 2013 (366)
- ginormous beer mug INDEED!
- the PO f#$ks up but I come through....
- can you find the CAT in this picture?
- beer pizza dough = :)
- you know its a great weekend when it is over in th...
- the very very busy day indeed....
- 29 years plus 29 minutes....
- the TIGERs and ME
- feast with the beasts (???) PART ONE
- such amazing revelations and scenes....
- Penny the therapy dog and her sidekick, ME
- immensely cute....
- Cooperstown = the prettiest town in America! (or a...
- beer beer and more beer :)
- all I want is a new toy.....
- the wife likes it like that
- ME, nekkid, in a room with 2 pretty women not my w...
- in which we wander through the filming of GLEE
- PINK ROBOTS and LEGS IN TRASH CANS is what NY city...
- Mystery trip part ONE!
- sci-fi teaset!
- it all comes down to this
- killer kurry
- late summer = first apples and first APPLE CRISP
- reasons to get up in the morning....
- day of the ZUCCHINI
- robot pots
- flippin' awesome week :)
- you would kill for my blueberry scones....
- of laundry and pots!
- SECRET triple chocolate cookies recipe!
- ▼ August (32)
- ► 2011 (413)
- ► 2010 (616)