Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

serving ROYALTY?????

You will recall that last week I talked of making a CAKE STAND for the wife, or cake plate if you prefer, and I made the first one I had ever made, in 2 pieces. These sorts of things REALLY like to break and warp in the kiln, it is a very unstable shape. Somebody suggested I make them in one piece, stand and plate together, and I have since done so with a second cake stand which is bigger than this one, and I hope it fires OK too...but for now? THE FIRST ONE IS OUT! And looking magnificent....it is ours and for us...and for, well, important personages and serving them in the way they prefer....BTW, I accidentally dumped the can on the floor a second after these pics and Buster our big dog ate all Spike's lunch.... (I opened another can...but poor guy!)

12 comments:

Elizabeth Grimes said...

Success! I'm sure the next one will be great too!

Unknown said...

In the second picture, Spike appears to be contemplating whether or not it INDEED is worthy of his royal attention.

Great job on your trial cake stand run!

Unknown said...

Beautiful cake stand!

Hilary said...

Gotta love that Spike licking his chops in the first image and his reserved contemplation in the others. Great idea re the cake stand.

Joyful Things said...

second picture Spike says "cake stand is great - where the heck is the fresh tuna?"

Busy Bee Suz said...

Spike is such a camera beast!!!
LOVe the cake stand...gorgeous!!!

Gary's third pottery blog said...

OH, btw, that is a pair of bowls in the middle...just tossed that in :)

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

The Royal Cat Dining Cake Stand looks great but poor Spike....the indignation of having the dog eat your dinner....sigh.

Reverend Awesome said...

Poor Spike. I'm certain you've already made this INJUSTICE up to him.

Anonymous said...

I'm snickering about Buster getting the unroyal (but still tasty) treat(ment).
Wish you had a picture of Spikes reaction! (or maybe not)

Lori Buff said...

Love it!!

Summer said...

1. Lovely translation of the flower shape to the bowls.
2. Your cake stand could easily morph into an amanita mushroom design. Cap and stem! With a little froggie hiding out underneath..

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.