Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

making stuff, living the life.....

You will see below the parts that went into making the cake stand and car wall piece. I hadn't made a cake stand before, but the wife wants one from me for Christmas. You make it and you are like "this thing is wicked fragile, hope it survives drying and firing without cracking". I figure if it survives (I can make many many more, btw) it will be YELLOW!
Also, I was talking to Brett and Robin earlier in the week about an exhibit of my wall pieces in 2012. Sure, I do wall pieces, you have seen the 3 pigs or the cow over the moon, but in talking with them, I got an idea for BEAGLE RIDING IN A CAR adorable wall piece, and made one....you see the dome shape below, which became the car....and of course, you also see the DOG IN THE CAR which inspires art work like that (Penny and I went on a trip to hike in the gorgeous fall weather yesterday, soooo nice out!)




12 comments:

Elizabeth Grimes said...

What a sweet and loyal hiking partner. Love the cake stand! Great idea.

Unknown said...

Dog is my co-pilot, indeed.

Gosh, Gary, the stuff you are producing is just getting better and better!

Michèle Hastings said...

i love to make cake stands but the survival rate for me is about 50% or maybe less... so many of them slump or warp. i wish you better luck than i have had... maybe reduction firing to ^10 is harder on them.
anxious to see them finished!

Alfred said...

Love love love that cake stand!

Anonymous said...

Darling wall piece! Go Penny!

-Susan L

Unknown said...

I will be eager to see how much slumping occurs with cone 6. Probably will be okay. When I make objects like that I usually use the slab roller. The clay molecules seem to behave better on a flat plane, than a spiral. Can't wait to see results.
Love, love, the photos. Gosh that Penny is so darling. I like the wall hangings also, we have made several styles. So fun to make, and just darn fun. Really get to utilize one's creativity.

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

Cake Stand! Claudia faints.

Unknown said...

What a beautiful place you live too. Penny is the perfect passenger :o)

I LOVE the doggy wall hanging!

Busy Bee Suz said...

I can't wait to see the cake stand when it is done!!!!
Penny...she is living the good life isn't she???

Lori Buff said...

I do cake stands in one piece. I'm curious to see the survival rate you have with the two piece method.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

ONE PIECE! I hadn't thought of that, but of course!

Anonymous said...

oooh, cake stand!!

Is there anything happier than a dog on a car ride?

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.