Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Monday, November 14, 2011

Putting Penny on a pedestal...and a POT

OK, so there is this amazing Euro (read: PRICEY) coffee pot in NY magazine and, well, I lust after it. Bloomies is selling them, and lickety split, I order one for Christmas, figuring FOUR months would get it here by then. No. Bloomies was super nice, but the manufacturer ran out of them and then would not return their calls....I guess they were THAT popular!

So, 2 months on back order, no end in sight, I cancel with Bloomies.
In the pics below you see our old coffee pot, purple with a zebra! I made it a few years ago. You put filter and coffee in the top, pour boiling water through. Through constant use and abuse, I had also broken the handles, and therefore set it aside and we don't use it now, just admire it. So I decided to make another zebra coffee pot for us, but BIGGER BIGGER BIGGGGGER! And have the wife make a cozy for it. Because the last cups in such a pot are not hot, just warm. Anyway, i was making a zebra coffee pot, and well....it became a beagle coffee pot.

You wonder why I put animals on pedestals in sculpture? I think it is funny, but also.....well, we own pedestals. Our front door has columns too, I love classical columns......



(new pottery by Gary Rith)

13 comments:

smartcat said...

But Gary, our four legged buddies deserve their pedestals. The teapot is perfect.....or purrrrfect?

Busy Bee Suz said...

I've never seen a coffeepot like that before. Tres' cool.
Is the one at Bloomies like this???? Surely, you would never make your customers wait four months!!!

Awwww....that Penny; pure sweetness!!!

Gary's third pottery blog said...

no, Bloomies was a plug in electric with drip into a glass carafe :)

Lori Buff said...

Ask any pet, they will tell you they deserve to be put on a pedestal. You're doing the right thing.

jim said...

amigo, penny deserves to be on a pedestal... one of a kind. the coffee pots look groovy

-Rob, Simple Circle Studios said...

Diggin the coffee pot. I have seen those as cups too. I have always wondered how well they work, though. I like my coffee pretty strong. Does it steep the coffee enough to make a strong brew?

Reverend Awesome said...

Oh that's a really cool idea. I wish I liked coffee. I was just saying this to Scott on Saturday. I'd love to wake up and have something I not only wanted to drink, but that woke me up. Alas, it's not for me. I've come to terms with that. When I want to feel fancy (cuz to me carrying around a coffee cup/mug is fancy) I'll drink hot chocolate.

Unknown said...

The coffee pots are FANTASTIC!

And as long as there isn't a finial on top of that column at the bottom of your bannister...we're good.

Michèle Hastings said...

Jeff makes those drip coffee things too... the coffee is nice and smooth since it doesn't "cook" on a burner after it's made. ours broke awhile back so it's time to make another.
love your animals and bright colors, even if you have decaf, making coffee with them will wake you up in the morning!

Gary's third pottery blog said...

sure it makes strong coffee...or weak coffee if you prefer! depends on the number of spoonfuls of coffee you like to use, for stronger or weaker :)

Joyful Things said...

I love those pots! and Penny looks like she's thinking she'd rather go for a walk than be put on the pedestal (or newel post in this case)

Anonymous said...

I wonder if zebra coffee tastes better than plain ol' coffee... I bet it does!

I used a set-up like that in college, but my filter was bright orange-ish red plastic. Yours is MUCH better.

Unknown said...

Penny is Royalty, so she deserves to be treated like that. Not sure if a Beagle gets it though, dogs are more like into cushy pillows.
Great idea with the coffee pot, might turn out like our colanders, George just made another one....hahahha! He made this kind a little different and said, (in front of a student) "Slap me if I ever put this many holes in another one"! I can't wait till he does, I have a witness, so I am home free....

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.