WRITE TO ME! email@example.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016
Saturday, May 24, 2014
after a messy week: centering with a side of gluten-free blueberry cake :)
(new wee pitcher given to the wife, it is so cute you know I had to keep it for us: I was at a friends house the other day peeing and saw a tiny glass pitcher in the bathroom with a pretty way of doing the top, pinching it up there where the handle goes...and that is lily of the valley from my great-grandmother's garden now in OURS and it is in the kitchen smelling GREAT)
I found 2 four-leaf clovers the other day. The week has been turning out that way indeed!
What better way to get back to normal than THROW pots and bake blueberry cake?
People talk about CENTERING. You know, chilling out, meditating. Potters are lucky in that our practice and discipline literally involves centering clay...and the brain! I swear nothing is more relaxing and contemplative than making pots. You wonder why I do it and maybe that is why. I am a totally hyperactive social weirdo and pottery brings me down to..... the best me, the best mood.
Baking too. Which is similar, right? You have the powders, the water, forming, baking, and it is also productive: make pots all day or bake and you have a table covered with work, makes you feel good to make things.
SO, yes, a challenging week, but I made things, fired the kiln. I have an order for a bowl type I like to do in green with frogs...except, hold the frogs and go denim blue... still looks NICE eh? And the wee pitchers? You know I like to make those and it is the easiest thing to do and sell, a small inexpensive item like that at an art fair.
Finally: gluten-free blueberry cake! I have zillions of recipes for gluten-free cakes, but the wife was like "soy flour and protein, what do you think?" and I was like "I have a bag of it and should remember to use it!" and my friends at Bob's Red Mill had this great, simple recipe for a plain cake, ready for anything, like blueberries and nuts... so MOIST and tasty :) (click here for recipe-I used sugar, not splenda...wtf is SPLENDA?)
Have an awesome Saturday!
Me and Missus Tastycakes
ME, the TV interview :)
my etsy gallery
- ► 2016 (324)
- ► 2015 (358)
- "when life gives you mangos... make mango tacos!"
- freestyle Friday...
- ever had....?
- mug musings, day 2...
- messing around with mugs, day one...
- doing really well...
- go DOG go!
- after a messy week: centering with a side of glute...
- like I said earlier this week, things look good by...
- a family story or 2 :)
- WHAT IF: laying it out...
- the tale of 2 pizzas day TWO: a mountain of mushr...
- a tale of 2 pizzas...day one!
- speaking of YELLOW
- "it was all yellow..."
- when the INTERNET rules your life... and improves ...
- Teapot Tuesday number 5: "what's that thing up th...
- fair over = TALL FRUITY PINK DRINKS
- "when mama ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy"
- open sesame!
- when pigs fly.....regarding childhood....
- Teapot Tuesday #4 and teff flour gluten-free cooki...
- STOP THE MADNESS: Mugs and me more about them tha...
- how to scare the hell out of your guests....
- May = getting better all the time
- have you seen the little piggies....
- April showers bring....
- ▼ May (29)
- ► 2013 (366)
- ► 2012 (416)
- ► 2011 (413)
- ► 2010 (616)