Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Monday, July 22, 2013

MOST valuable...

Ever consider the most valuable thing you have?
You dog, your cat, your violin, the cheesecake in the fridge, your spouse, your kids, your car?
Friends downtown came home from biking with their kids Sunday...and their house had been burgled.
It was one of those careful and thorough jobs, where the thieves looked high and low to find valuables.

I sometimes ask the terrible question: what if there was a fire, what if there was a flood or a burglary, what is the one thing I would save?
Aside from the neccessties of food, water or a winter coat and boots, and taking out (of course) your family, what ITEM, what stuff, would you have to save?

My quick answer is my sketchbooks.
I may not draw very well, and anyone else looking at them may wonder why I draw the same thing hundreds of times, over and over perfecting it (so that when I draw it on a cup= tres perfect!).

What would you save in an emergency?




9 comments:

~ Sil in Corea said...

Cat and passport (with my passport, I can replace my bank card, etc.)

Sandra Kohlmann said...

I'd wrangle my cats out of the house. Given that they are ultra skittish, I probably wouldn't have time to take anything else. If I did, I'd grab my backup drive, with thousands of photos of my girls. There are a couple books that have been in my family for decades, that I'd try to save. I'd also try to take a piece or two of our china, which originally belonged to Steve's great-grandmother. I love the things I have, but truly, there are few things that are irreplaceable.

Michèle Hastings said...

of course I would save my kitty Sophie, but she falls in the category of family... as for items...
maybe my jewelry box, not because I have valuable jewelry, but because it has sentimental items inside it.

Lori Buff said...

The backup drive to my computer but that's also assuming that my pants pockets are filled with the normal stuff like wallet, phone, leatherman, 50-25 cents (when I'm rich)...

Anonymous said...

The photo albums, without question. And some manuscripts. The rest I can live without:)

smalltownme said...

That's a tough one. The computer back-up drive? There's 10 years of photos on it.

bartster said...

About a dozen years back we were under order to evacuate as a forest fire was threatening to sweep into town. Happily the winds turned and the fire was contained. In the midst of the evacuation process we made sure we had: each other and the dogs, the dogs' necessities and some heirloom photos. Outside of that we decided the rest would have to be replaced. I save sketch books right now and am still deciding why.

smartcat said...

That's a goodie....up there with what books would you like to have on a desert island?
There's so much...but obviously id's....I think my MacBook.....because it has so much of my life in it, a sketch book with lots of empty pages and my cast iron wok.





Busy Bee Suz said...

I think your sketches are superb.
Aside from my people and critters....I'd try to salvage our photo albums. ( all 30 of them??)
Sorry for your friends; glad no one was hurt.

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.