OK, here goes THIS story.
A rather wonderful customer of mine who also happens to be another one of my imaginary cousins (sure, I have dozens of imaginary cousins, which does NOT include all of my honorary cousins)*** has a daughter getting married. The daughter is having a MAD HATTER TEA PARTY before the wedding, with manymanymany guests.
I was asked if I had an idea for something that guests could use and take home, a special souvenir that related to the theme plus was handmade.
The wife and I were thinking about it, and doodled out the possibilities, and you see below the rather excellent second attempt--I think the customer will go for this and I'll make a bunch.
Here is the, um, CATCH.
The customer is an attorney married to an attorney, and you know people like that see the world DIFFERENTLY from you and me, you know? The convo went like this:
customer: "are you worried about copyright problems and being sued???"
(because as you know, a certain LARGE media company seems to own some or all or most of the rights on this thing or whatever, I don't want to know)
me, naively: "I am a potter, why would I worry about lawsuits?????"
WELL, from what I can tell, the original story and illustrations are so old as to be open source. I am not asking any further questions. I am basing my design loosely on an illustration over 100 years old. And so, I shall move on thinking to myself "ignorance is bliss..." with my fingers crossed :)
(cups by Gary Rith)
***What is the difference, you ask, between my imaginary cousins and the honorary ones? Simple! Honorary cousins are the adopted cousins that I have met and hang out with. Imaginary are the ones I have not yet met in person----and just like Boy Scouts, all you have to do meet me to get promoted :)
Gary's Third Pottery Blog
"I'll light the fire, you place the flowers in the vase that you bought today." --CSNY
- ► 2014 (361)
- ► 2013 (366)
- ► 2012 (416)
- ► 2011 (413)
- April = Awesome!
- 4 years ago today!
- le pigs
- the KITTEN haiku:
- "cats don't eat peanut butter, do they?"
- BENJI, Penny and GEORGES go commando....
- the VERY windy day...
- "are you hawt mama? you sure look that way to me....
- "YESS! YESSS!"
- so ends a SASSY week....
- the lady takes a (brief) vacation
- "GOD, you're subjecting people to so much...": the...
- absolutely nothing of interest will happen today *...
- I AM A WINNER and bamf
- "you're not growing a SOUL PATCH are you?"
- GOSH my life is so thoroughly boring....
- springtime, when a young monkey's heart turns to s...
- piggy gear....
- le WOLF: the moooovie
- I AM A KITCHEN GOD
- it usually snows on the first day of spring :)
- beagle teapot
- a gang of women and Georges Le Soq
- oh no, BECKY JO!!!!
- NOT gonna tell the squashed frog joke....
- the year of the TAT
- "ITS ALL ABOUT ME!"
- Benji, ME, Georges Le Soq, Missus O'Leary...
- "DON'T BLOG THIS!"
- oh GEORGES....
- tip THIS COW!
- BUY STUFF
- le interview
- the USUAL Friday thang...
- GIDDYUP Georges and Penny: the most important pos...
- Cows, Collins, Chapterhouse....
- the TEAPOT and girlfriend story
- scenes from the day, except you already know about...
- Georges Le Soq + DENTIST = !!!!!
- "just lie back and this won't hurt a bit"
- and the Oscar for best 7 minute pottery interview ...
- Spike and Emily Cats: NOT a fight to the death
- Friday revisited?
- a day that started at 2:28
- art road trip with Benji and Christi
- le roadtrip, part ONE with Georges Le Soq and Benj...
- "you've got Ferret hair!"
- BE COOL
- Le Pennster....
- Benji the painter, ETC.
- Spike, Penny, other bits and pieces
- BENJI's paintings
- le cats!
- Mad potter
- BUSTER the black lab and why I put animals onto po...
- scenes from a Sunday :)
- ▼ March (60)