WRITE TO ME! firstname.lastname@example.org Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016
Saturday, November 9, 2013
making calzones with cats!
Oh yes! And dogs! And they are gluten-free CALZONES????
I was looking for pizza made with an actual rice crust and along the way came across a woman who made gluten-free calzones AND, further, made them with spinach and artichoke! (click here)
HER brilliant idea was to combine calzones with a favorite spinach-artichoke dip!!!!
What is a calzone? They are not everywhere around the US, I have found, but it is a pizza tart, or a pizza turnover, or a stuffed pizza. Some people are used to having them lain out on a plate and covered with tomato sauce, others make an enormous one and slice them into servings, but I fall into the last, and most basic category: I like them to be a tidy little package, all by themself, one calzone for one person at one meal. I have made millions of calzones in my life, but this was a first: gluten-free! And they are SO pretty and tasty...
They do best if the stuffing is not too wet, meaning, go light on the sauce if that is what you use, BUT this recipe is brilliant for not having any sauce at all, just cheese, spinach, artichoke then MORE cheese. I also found that the crust needed more flour than she suggests in the recipe. I cannot have cheese at all, so used a little fake cheese (daiya) and instead of ricotta tossed in diced onion and mushroom OH MAN they are brilliantly tasty.... then the best part? Day 2, pulling out another one for dinner...I LOVE it when dinner is just sitting in the fridge waiting for you to warm it up and pour a cold glass of joy...
have a great Saturday!
Me and Missus Tastycakes
ME, the TV interview :)
my etsy gallery
- ► 2016 (324)
- ► 2015 (358)
- ► 2014 (361)
- day TWO open studio
- MY black Friday...
- small blessings..
- some curiosities and cuties
- winsome and winning and SUDDENLY wide awake!
- the cow jumped over the moon...or maybe flew over ...
- gluten-free pumpkin bread, part TWO!
- POTATO pizza and PIGS IN SPACE
- from the cute files: when pigs fly again....
- in which I get a NEW video camera and immediately ...
- RED stuff
- green STUFF
- the best damn gluten-free muffins you have EVER ha...
- close to home...
- interpreting what I am up to....
- when CATS WEAR HATS
- WEIRD FOOD: latkes and pizza re-imagined????
- a couple inches more...
- why YES, it did snow last night but let's talk abo...
- imagine GODZILLA next to a water tower....
- slothful SUNDAY...in the studio
- making calzones with cats!
- gluten-free pumpkin bread to DIE FOR
- things you want to KEEP
- when cats and dogs "HELP" and lazy apple pie
- hanging out with the QUEEN and what is hanging ove...
- when pigs fly: how an ordinary teapot is suddenly...
- a great COVER UP
- you wonder "sweet potato enchiladas or pad Thai???"
- when you have guests, it is best to RELAX
- ▼ November (31)
- ► 2012 (416)
- ► 2011 (413)
- ► 2010 (616)