Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

ROAD TRIP: when good potters (and good dogs) go BAD and play hooky....



So like I was saying yesterday, the kiln is broken, dozens of pots lie around awaiting their turn to be fired, and parts are on their way from Oregon...but there is a huge fair this weekend.
Time to GOOF OFF.

I was babysitting Yogi. Yogi is a good-natured golden doodle, a retriever, and he swims with his family every day in good weather.  My parents have a river, a creek and a pond and live about an hour away on a large farm in the middle of a 5000 acre state forest.....

"WHY" you ask "ARE YOU NOT THERE ALL THE TIME?????".
Well, certainly, when it is hot and sunny, the draw is there....

Here is the river alongside their driveway....


This is the wee creek running down into the river alongside the driveway....it is, btw, a long driveway...


Like any good retriever, you DO NOT need to show them the water:  they FIND IT and jump in.
Penny and Yogi are good friends, but very different types of dogs.  I left Penny beagle at home with the wife.  She is all NOSE, following scents when she is in the woods, and I knew Yogi would be all PLAY and swim with me instead....he was such a good dog.  My parents are, well, not in their more adventurous years, you could say, and a sweet-natured and clownish, friendly, well-behaved dog was a treat for them.
The pond lies right below the house and barns and you look at it and it takes your breath away it is so pretty, and you are like "Gary's parents have their OWN PERSONAL STATE PARK???".
Paradise.

Yogi's family was at work.  Imagine how they feel, looking at their dog goofing off with me all day....


Yogi can be a bit shy with new people.
He loves my parents.  My mom called me over "Yogi wants me to hold his paw!".  He just sat there with his paw in her hand for a long time...


It was warm.  The water was cool.
We were all pretty happy....later, Yogi was SOUND ASLEEP all afternoon....

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Big Jimmie is jealous! We have had a number of dogs over the years and I have to say our Golden-doodle is by far the most well behaved, playful, loyal, gentle, lovable dog we have ever had. He is always up for an adventure, and loves to ride in the car. We would take him everywhere with us, but visiting with a 107lb dog in tow makes us not so welcome, no matter how great he is.
ALBUG

Barbara Rogers said...

Yay Yogi and Gary, doing what everyone wants in their secret hearts to be doing in July (and August, and September!)

Mrs. Potsblog said...

A great day!

Michèle Hastings said...

What a great break from the stress of a down kiln and an upcoming show. Well deserved!

bartster said...

Your pictures and post made me think of Calvin and Hobbes' adventures at the swimming hole once school adjourned.

smartcat said...

This is what summer is all about. Yogi is definitely a sweetie!

Anonymous said...

The perfect dog mini-vacation! Our Jax loves water, too. We need to take him somewhere for a swim...

Lori Buff said...

That looks like fun. Just what you need before a big show and I;m certain the dogs and parents enjoyed the visit also.

Cheri @ Blog This Mom!® said...

You KNOW I want to buy that farm. :-)

smalltownme said...

What a perfect day!

JB said...

Great use of a 'tools down' day. Yogi is a great excuse to totally enjoy the great out doors.

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

This looks like HEAVEN to me. If I won the lottery tomorrow, I would buy a farm like this. Jim would freak out because he knows that cats and dogs galore would follow such a purchase. Good way to goof off!

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.