Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Odin....



I have been on a long catsitting job with a friend's marmalade cat, an orange tiger named ODIN.  WHAT a sweetie!  If you are intellectually curious and the name ODIN strikes a chord, you are like "some sort of Norse god, thunder or something..." and so you read wiki and find

the Allfather of the gods

and

Odin is a principal member of the Æsir(the major group of the Norse pantheon) and is associated with war, battle, victory and death, but also wisdomShamanismmagicpoetryprophecy, and the hunt. Odin has many sons, the most famous of whom is the thunder god Thor.

Then you start to think "OOOOH, the root of that name Odin or Wodan--do a little trimming and add G and you get GOD! "

YES, the family has a Swedish background. But like I say, he is a HUGE sweetie. He doesn't even hunt, although birds cluck at him nervously.  We play inside then go outdoors where he has a fenced yard...which he stays in until I shake the crunchies in the kitchen and he comes running....

A week ago, post allergist visit, I told you my 43 item skin test showed severe allergic reactions to most,  allergic to all 43.  Number one was, ahem, when the doctor said as the pricks had just been made and the test began, tapping my back "there goes your cat!".  Nothing new there, my dog was next.... but I am USED to them.  I don't seem to react to them.  BUT holy CATS, rubbing faces with Odin here?  I am NOT used to him.  Got the swollen face and the runny nose (which passed, no probs).  ...but he is worth it....

9 comments:

Emily SIL said...

What a handsome kitty that Odin is! Sounds like you meet with his approval, too. You are very good to put up with the sniffles and swelling.

smartcat said...

Oden is a fine fellow; he sounds like a real sweetie. I assume that you are finding ways to work around your allergies.
Happy Fourth!

Barbara Rogers said...

LOVE Odin, and thanks for sharing research about the god he's named after! Gotta keep sharing things like that, or the myths just fade into comic books...or fantasy games!

Lori Buff said...

I knew a cat named Odin, he was a sweetie too. It might be something in the name.

If Odin is an indoor/outdoor kitty he most likely has some extra allergens on his fur and they are helping to aggravate the allergies.

Hilary said...

He's a handsome boy, for sure.

Anonymous said...

Magnificent looking creature! I hope you build up a tolerance for him.

bartster said...

Odin looks like he 'rules'. BTW...Our day Wednesday comes from the Old Norse, Wodin's Day or Odin's Day.

Busy Bee Suz said...

Odin is beautiful and seems so much nicer than my orange tabbies. :)
You are awesome to live with the allergies….all in the name of critter love!

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

Orange cats are the best! Odin is a very handsome boy. Allergies, smallergies.

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.