Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Friday, February 8, 2013

when TEN goes to ELEVEN!

We all know Nigel Tufnel's guitars and amps, right?  When you take it up to ten, and just need a little more NNmmmmmNNNNNow?!

Two things going on:  a) as I have said, I am organizing myself for the first time EVER, making lists of what I like to make most, my favorites and b)  I had an order for ten mugs (the customer asked for certain things...but instead got what I felt like doing, see below...we all know how I am with orders: customer says "I want this" and I am like "too bad, this is what I feel like doing" ;) so it was a good chance to USE MY NEW list of favorites to make what I wanted... no matter what the customer wanted (they were BLOWN away of course, the theory being that if I make my favorites you get A+ versus that which I make grudgingly and is, like, B+ work due to lack of excitement...anyway)

but then there is c) I was walking Nook the other day, as I said, and got the idea to make quilted pieces in a certain way and OH BOY is this idea coming along nicely! (quilted pieces and others below-I totally made another series of these exact ten this week, glaze firing them Saturday)
Have a great weekend and thanks for looking!

9 comments:

smartcat said...

What a collection! I think I like the last two best, but then the swirls, no the blue and green....oh h#ll They're all great!

Is it snowing at your house yet?

Lori Buff said...

The customer should be blown away. I love the quilted look.

Barbara Rogers said...

That's great, dog walking = inspiration. And not surprising with all the great things you see while out there. I can't decide my favorite mugs, but am partial to spirals! And yes you are organized, even making your post have points a, b, and c. !!!

bartster said...

Walking does spark creativity...As a runner, would you say the running does too?

Momma Fargo said...

They look fantastic! Love how you get your inspiration!

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

Hard to pick a favorite here. I guess that's a good problem to have. Happy shoveling this weekend! Lovely in the Keys this time of year. (or so I hear...I'll be in the orchestra pit where the view is less tropical but still quite warm.)

Darlene said...

Lol, I have always been just as bad about orders! The quilted look is looking good! Loved the cat and the muffins yesterday. Good luck with that snow coming in! Thanks for sharing, I really enjoy your blog!

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Blue & green swirlies... blue and green quilted... black and red quilted... It's hard to choose a favorite!

Busy Bee Suz said...

Wowza....I think I love the quilted pieces the most! Gorgeous.

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.