Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Thursday, February 7, 2013

quilts, my cat, somebody else's dog, and Claudia's grandma...

A lot to talk about today, hmm??? A lot to SEE too!
But first, a blizzard is expected tonight. My food preparations are shown below, but I gotta run to the store and make sure we get plenty of beer...in case it snows and upstate NY has a shortage ;)

FIRSTLY, I was downtown walking Nook last week (Nook is the fuzzy white dog seen in yesterday's post, I walk him for a friend sometimes) and GOT AN IDEA.  The first in this new decorating series is below.  I scribbled furiously in my pocket notepad with a drawing:  make a quilted pattern on a pot, with a glaze that shows texture nicely.  More on this tomorrow, but holy CATS this first turned out nicely!  And YES, there are times I put all kinds of fancy sh!t together on a piece....


(jar with a dog by Gary Rith)

In other news, my buddy Claudia posts her grandma's blueberry muffin recipe! I HAD JUST bought frozen blubes...and made these (recipe etc below) and used veg margerine and soy milk, but I see these things come out of the oven and I am like "THESE ARE SO PRETTY! I made blueberry muffins like a bakery!!!!!!"  Take that Starschmucks....
their taste is amazingly rich and wonderful, yet light and not heavy (of course, using the original recipe's butter could be different).  But what huge and lovely muffins!




Speaking of other people's doggies, I had my friend Yogi out to play yesterday...HUGE puppy now!


Spike ...well, what can I say?  He thought he was hiding....



FINALLY, I come across another chili recipe...super simple, and recipe below, and Penny helps me make it...
I added all kinds of things, of course, like chipotles, leftover chickpeas, chopped carrot, tofurkey, YUM!
Have a great Thursday and WATCH OUT northeastern US, the sky is falling!  or snow at least...



Black bean tortilla chilli
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 (6- or 8-inch) corn tortillas, cut
into 2-inch strips
2 medium onions, chopped
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 (15 ounce) can corn, undrained
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 (15 ounce) can BUSH’S(R) Black
Beans, drained
1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
salt and pepper
1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack
cheese
2 green onions, chopped
1/4 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro,
chopped
Directions:
1.Heat half the oil in a 2-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add cut tortillas and lightly brown. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate; let drain.
2.Heat remaining oil in saucepan. Add onion, red pepper, garlic, corn and seasonings. Cook 4 minutes; stir often.
3.Add beans and tomato sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer 20 minutes.
4.Serve topped with tortilla strips, cheese, green onions, sour cream and cilantro.


Claudia's grandmother's blueberry muffins

1 stick (½ cup) butter, softened to room temperature 
1 cup sugar + 1 Tablespoon sugar for topping 
2 eggs 
1 teaspoon vanilla 
2 cups flour 
2 teaspoons baking powder 
½ cup milk 
2 cups fresh blueberries (about 1 pint) frozen OK
¼ teaspoon nutmeg 
 
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. 
 
In a large bowl or mixer, beat 1 stick (½ cup) of softened, room temperature butter with 1 cup sugar 
until pale yellow, light, and fluffy. Add 2 eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla and stir to combine. 
 
In a separate bowl, sift together 2 cups flour and 2 teaspoons baking powder. Add the flour and ½ cup 
milk alternately to the butter mixture starting with the flour. Mix only until the flour is incorporated – do 
not over stir. 
 
Leave a little flour in the bottom of the bowl and toss 2 cups of fresh blueberries in it. The flour helps 
keep the blueberries from sticking together and from sinking to the bottom of the muffins. Gently fold 
the blueberries into the batter by hand using a spatula. Spoon the batter into muffin tins lined with 
papers or greased and floured to prevent sticking.  
 
Stir 1 Tablespoon sugar and ¼ teaspoon nutmeg together and sprinkle over the tops of the muffins. Bake 
at 375 degrees for 20 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out 
mostly clean. 
 
Cool on a wire rack or even better, eat warm with lots of butter. 

6 comments:

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

Yay!!! Those muffins look gorgeous! By the way, the original grandmother recipe also uses margarine so I'm not surprised that these look awesome having undergone the vegan transformation.

LOVE that cute doggie pot and, of course, love the cute doggie Yogi! Hope you survive the big storm! Looks like you're stocked up with good food to get you through.

Anonymous said...

Here in Indiana when we get a severe storm warning the grocery store runs out of milk and toilet paper! We always run in to make sure we have enough beer! Who needs milk? We have no kids. Anyway it always cracks me up, the last time we had a snowfall that snowed us in for longer than a day or two was the BLIZZARD of 1978.
No storm warnings here though, it's sunny right now actually.
Love your blog, ya know,

ALBUG

Barbara Rogers said...

I'm definitely in the mood for blueberry muffins. I froze blueberries last summer and they are just asking to become muffins. Will be trying Claudia's Grandmother's recipe this time. Please pass along my thanks.

Lori Buff said...

I thought Georgia was the only place where we cleaned out the grocery stores of milk, beer and bread (I don't know why) whenever the forecast calls for snow. I actually think it's a marketing ploy by the stores;-)

cookingwithgas said...

Beer is best to have on hand if you get that big fat snow,but those muffins....need to make those.


Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

I could use a good snowstorm... and blueberry muffins.

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.