Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Monday, February 4, 2013

anti-holiday: declaring today as national I am getting tired of winter day

Yesterday I wonder "sore throat?" and the wife is all sneezy....routine, maybe, but will they get worse? I have a busy week of dog walking ahead.... and everything else.  The weather report is also like "below zero" and overnight the snowplow is going back and forth on the street out front.  A few more inches of THAT sh!t.  *

SO basically I declare, as I do so often "this is national I am getting tired of winter day" and this jar that just came out of the kiln, Godzilla making a rude gesture and eating a dismembered person?  THAT represent this new holiday.
*Actually I feel quite good today, the wife too...the temp is already up to ten degrees, and it was only, what, 5-6 inches new snow on the ground?  Is it just my espresso or is it gonna be a less than awful day???? :)




A friend is over the other day and we are talking about these "I didn't know these open" she tells me, and I am like "YEP.  people always ask what can you do with it? Those times I am always thinking DUMBASS, have you NO IMAGINATION??? I guess not everybody is as imaginative as me"
and I continue telling my friend "And between you and me, somebody once said they would make an excellent STASH BOX".  Ahem.
Yep, stash yer valuables in there....ok then!



You all know I love mother and child sculptures.  So here is rude Godzilla jar, and also mama chicken and chick, mama elephant and baby :)

(new pottery by Gary Rith)

Before and after on this glaze firing today...good golly, I have new decorating schemes going on, I am soooo excited!  Have a great Monday!


10 comments:

smartcat said...

Great holiday! Count me in!

Love all the animals on pedestals! Isn't that where we put them?

Lori Buff said...

That chicken is really cute. I'm also really interested in that mug at the top of the kiln. It looks like a quilt.
Keep warm and keep smiling.

Trish said...

Hi Gary..from another 'tired of winter' person up here north of the 49th. ..Don't fret, it is February! :)..not long now til Spring...great firing by the looks of it. Have a cheery warm day.
T.

Michèle Hastings said...

I am tired of winter and I don't even live in the north!
Those are perfect jars to hide any secret treasures that you may have.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

QUILTED = Yessssssssssss :)

Barbara Rogers said...

Love the jars with animals. But I can't see how they open...no wonder folks are surprised. Does the animal itself make the top, or does the whole horizontal architectural element come up? Just want to see inside one!

smalltownme said...

Ha! That 'zilla looks like my son right now!

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

LOL, perhaps Smalltown Me needs that Godzilla on a pedestal for her son!

bartster said...

Why just last week we observed the Feast of Saint Sichowinter....I'm not sure it'll make the list of official holy days, but I thought it was worth a try. Meanwhile, people here tell me I need to "embrace winter". Hmmmm

~ Sil in Corea said...

Yes, winter is beginning to pall, even for me. Bring on spring, I thought this morning while trudging through 5 inches of the white stuff. The Korean marmot didn't see his shadow, so there is hope.

I really like the things you're doing lately, especially the crimped-edge bowls! Those creatures-on-pedestal jars are very clever, too. :-) <3

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.