Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Friday, April 13, 2012

the most AWESOME thing you have seen all year

(teapot above by Gary Rith and sculpture below by Gary Rith, painting by B. Potter)
Is my blog self-centered and full of hyperbole? SURE IT IS! I mean, it is mine, right? And I lay it on thick :)
OK, my point? I am excited about this thing here. You heard me talk about making it last week along with the sculptures just below, all of them now fired. I love the glaze scheme above, but as I told you, in the days leading up to Easter I was thinking BUNNIES and like Beatrix Potter's painting down below, bunny having tea. So I made the sculpture below left, then toned down the cartoonish aspect in the 2nd sculpture as you see, then made the third, above (piggy below for the heck of it). I liked the third bunny with teaset so much I built a teapot around it! You can therefore see the progression of sculpting ideas, right? This teapot also has a warm and friendly and round shape which I love, and is a simple shape compared to what I often make, because the knob is so complex. Then I wanted bunny sitting on green, for a grassy feel, right? And the way it mixes with the light blue, mmmm :) Finally, having messed around with lids for DECADES I really like the shape and fit of this lid...thick rim, inset, fairly flat lid....
Have a great weekend!


14 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is adorable!!! Great job Gary!


Shannnon

Joe Troncale said...

Great teapot! Great glazes!
I am concerned about one thing, however, Gary. I am worried about your lack of self-esteem. You seem so down on your work and unenthusiastic about what you are doing... :)

Gary's third pottery blog said...

OH HO! I have enthusiasm aplenty :) Thanks both. BTW, I write these posts at 5-6 am, and looking at this now I see that it is hard to understand WTF I am saying...nearly incomprehensible and badly edited...oh WELL!

smartcat said...

So smart to keep the pot simple as it is all about the knob. I am as charmed by the pot as I am by Miss Potter.

Hey, aren't blogs all about you? or me? as the case may be.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

I have to say, I am lucky that my commenters are 99.9-100 percent understanding of my bluster and BS, understanding that I am going over the top in my comments :) Thank you all!

Joe Troncale said...

"It's not braggin' if you can back it up..."
- Some famous athlete or potter

Barbara Rogers said...

That is the most lovely bunny teapot I've every seen! She is certainly a good progression from where you started...and the glaze, well, delicious might be a good adjective. Sure, I can put up with your bluster, if you can put up with mine! Gary with cat/dog/wife, me with 2 cats/fish/???

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Score!! Perfect pot, glorious glaze, beautiful bunny, tempting tea...

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

That is the pot from the kiln, isn't it?!

I mean, ALL your pots came out of the kiln, but that's the one I asked about, right?
It's making me very sorry to be broke... (me, not the pot, although I'd be sorry about that, too)

Okay, I'll go drink more coffee now...

Michèle Hastings said...

everything about it is perfect!

smalltownme said...

Oh, Gary, bluster away! It is the best bunny teapot in the universe.

Unknown said...

The bunny teapot is the sweetest teapot ever! Your little sculptures are sooooo cute! Piggy is awesome.

k.a. barnes said...

Gary, that bunny on the teapot is just the cutest thing ever. Great job.

Joyful Things said...

you are right! I think it is.

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.