Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Saturday, April 21, 2012

I did it all for the....cookies.....

Me and the wife had the hawt date Friday evening indeed, we made a new cookie recipe! You will recall that I am vegan. Yes, take a vegetarian and take it to ELEVEN (if you remember your Spinal Tap). So, no cheese, dairy, no eggs. BUT, living at this point in time and in Moosewood's hometown, it is pretty flippin' easy to be a vegan indeed.
You say "why be vegan? are you some kind of commie pinko America hater?" and what you love about America is that although 97 percent of Americans eat meat, they aren't as mean and insulting to vegetarians and vegans as they could be.
I have been vegetarian since I was 16, 30 years! Yes, there were a few times I was off the wagon, but I am absolutley and entirely disinterested in the stuff. Is it the nausea inspired by imagining slaughterhouses? You betcha, that was why I started, reading Sinclair's THE JUNGLE. And basically, you meat eaters will be alll like "oh, but man was made to eat meat!" and I counter with "people used to eat bugs, and a lot of people still do, does not mean we have to!". Basically, people, rats, dogs, other animals are omnivores, but as humans in modern America we can eat what we feel is healthiest. I choose to eat this way. I would eat dairy but I have an allergy. Fact is, as the book SKINNY BITCH pointed out, vegans are pretty damn trim and healthy.
My own feeling is this: if we still had cute little farms like farmer MacGregor in PETER RABBIT a hundred years ago, you know, a patch of veggies, a cow, a few chickens, etc, farm food would be pretty awesome. What we have now is, to my mind, plastic wrapped junk from filthy factory farms. I am not interested.
Anyway, you eat what you want, that is your business and I could care less what you do.
Back to the cookies. I came across this chocolate chip cookie recipe this week and it turned out so beautifully you should try it! My guests would never know it was anything but rich and delicious. Here is the original link, and below the pics is the recipe.




Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 cups flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup dark chocolate chips/chunks (make sure they're vegan!)
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup soy
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp dark molasses

- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and chocolate chips.
- In another bowl, combine the vegetable oil, milk, vanilla, and molasses.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix well with a wooden spoon and your hands to get the mixture well incorporated-it will be crumbly.
- Roll dough into compact balls, place on a parchment paper-lined pan, and squish them down to form saucers.
- Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes. Let cookies cool for 5 minutes on the pan before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe yields about 16 cookies.


Am I the only one who remembers and still loves Limp Bizkit? They did it all for the ......

14 comments:

Gary's third pottery blog said...

loving lim bizkit is, like being a vegan, a lifestyle choice ;)----and this post def. has some typos, please do not bother to point them out to my lazy self....

Busy Bee Suz said...

I just knew that limp biskit video would be in here from the title! {what ever happened to those guys?}
I applaud you for being vegan, I really do! I think I am border line vegetarian. {love love love my cheese!}

I can do without meat 90% of my life....and the slaughterhouse images really bother me too.

The cookies look delish!!!

Busy Bee Suz said...

I forgot about the guitar guy with the weird contacts...scary.

Like a chump hey, like a chump....

smartcat said...

Cookies! Looking for eggless, adaptable recepes, for a friend with severe egg allergy.

And whatever did happen to Limp Biskit?

Gary's third pottery blog said...

I know, the spookie zombie guitarist= worth avoiding!

Barbara Rogers said...

Cookies sound good, when I make em I love eating the raw dough. I'm surprised you don't use egg replacer.

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

I just finished reading a book called Eat to Live that talks about nutrient dense foods and how vegans are the healthiest people. When you think about it, big animals like gorillas and pandas don't eat meat and they're just fine. I've been trying to eat more vegetarian meals lately and it's been a lot of fun trying new recipes.

I was also wondering about the egg thing since you do so much baking. Does the soy replace the egg? I'm allergic to eggs so this might be good for me to know.

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

i covet your underdog t-shirt. :) is that wrong?

Joyful Things said...

I drive by a feed lot every day and see what they feed these animals. It is fermented ground up corn stalks (silage). The stench is nauseating and if any of you have noticed the smell of raw or cooked meat (gruesome!) I think this is why. Another disturbing fact is that they irrigate the corn fields with "effluent" which in straight talk is processed sewage. Not just feces and urine but medications, paint, and go on and on about all the flushed things. This effluent is also used to water fruits and veg so know your farmer! yikes....

Gary's third pottery blog said...

well, i don't want to create a pukefest, but, anyway, thanks for all your comments!

Emily SIL said...

When I was in college, I read Diet for a Small Planet and that convinced me that meat is not an economical way to feed the planet. The statistic I remember is that it takes seven pounds of grain to produce one pound of meat. So I became a vegetarian for a while on ecological grounds. Of course, this was 30 years ago...

Knight said...

Do you really get that much crap about being vegan? I feel like it's pretty common now. At least people understand the mindset better. Maybe that's just where I live though.

Little Miss Sunshine State said...

What is the 1/4 of soy? Is it something like silken tofu?

I was a vegetarian for about 18 months as an experiment. I read that a meat-free diet can help with inflammation and I was hoping it would ease my arthritis.

Little Miss Sunshine State said...

Oh, is it soy milk?

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.