Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Friday, March 30, 2012

we have a WINNER! and s3xyhawt oatmeal scones...


Groovy teapot eh? I was messing around with different ideas, and also remembered "Oh yeah, I like elephants, been making so many monsters and such lately!"

Do I have to say it? If you read comments in yesterday's prize post, you would guess that Joe blew all of you away, babies or no babies, PLUS he said "fart" which is always a winner. I mean, the sheer number of limericks and haikus is staggering :) Joe, email me garyrith at yahoo dot com with your mailing address and I will draw by hand and STAMP by hand a real live Easter card....

Joe was asking for my oatmeal scones recipe....it and my applesauce recipes follow the pics....
that is my version of multitasking, stirring the pot with one hand, baking the scones with the other...

Cranberry apple sauce!

Core and chop 7-9 apples. I use organic and do not peel them. Toss them in a large cook pot, set on high. Add one cup water, one tbs lemon juice, 1/2 cup sugar, 3/4-1 cup cranberries and shakes of cinnamon, clove and nutmeg. When it is boiling quite violently, stir frequently, reduce heat and simmer covered about 20-30 minutes, stirring from time to time, until it looks very mushy. Take it off the heat and blenderize 90 percent of of it. I like some lumps remaining. Put it into tupperware when it cools, keep in the fridge.
DELISH!

oatmeal scones, wicked easy!

1 cup flour, 3 tbs sugar, 2 teas bake powder, 6 tbs margarine, 1 cup rolled oats, 1/2 cup golden raisins or whatever, 1/3 cup chopped nuts, 2 eggs, spoonful of sugar mixed with cinnamon ( I LOVE CINNAMON)

Preheat oven to 400
Stir in large bowl the flour, sugar, bake powder. Use a pastry blender or fork or knife and cut in and stir to mix the margarine until crumbly. Stir in oats, raisins and nuts. Use another bowl, whisk the eggs then pour them into flour mixture and stir it all together nicely. The dough is very sticky, but grab it in your hands and set it on a plate or something, patting it into a nice blob, or if you are exacting like my wife, form a disk about 7 inches wide and 1.25 inches thick. You can cut the disk into 8 wedges and place onto a baking sheet. I don't make wedges, but just form 8 rough little hockey pucks. Back about 9-12 minutes, until they look BEAUTIFUL and golden brown, but careful they could burn quickly, so check progress at 9 mins.....

when done, sprinkle with a little of that cinnamon sugar and place them onto a cooling rack, YUMMO!

12 comments:

cookingwithgas said...

what eggs?? How many??

Gary's third pottery blog said...

whoa! better get that corrected--2 eggs :)

Joe Troncale said...

My acceptance speech will be published in the New York Times entertainment section on Sunday (for all who are interested.) Just let me say that I am overwhelmed and excited to be the recipient of a Gary Rith original. My grandchildren are already counting on it for their college educations when we auction it at Bonham's in 2021 for the enormous sum that it will surely bring. Never has the expellation of gas brought me so much in return.
Thanks to all. And thanks to Gary for the yummy recipes and pictures of the new dynamite pots!

Gary's third pottery blog said...

Joe has been to medical school, i can tell. I can just imagine the lecture "blah blah the patient ate a lot of chili and comes into the emergency room...blah blah...and if there is evidence of a GREAT EXPELLATION OF GAS from the patient blah blah" and the whole class suddenly gets it and snickers.....

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

There was no doubt that Joe had us all beat in the limericks and haiku, not to mention the fart jokes.

Gary, as soon as I saw the photo, I exclaimed, "You put cranberries in your applesauce!" That's brilliant!! I'd start cooking up your recipes this morning if I wasn't trying to get ready to go on a road trip. (We won't talk about the fact that I'm sitting on the sofa with the laptop, blogging...)
Oh, heck, who am I kidding? I'm just pouting because I don't have any cranberries.

Joe Troncale said...

The proper medical term for gas is "flatulence". It is a great word. It makes me think (loose association) about Christopher Columbus working against flatulence to prove the world was round...
Karen, may you be able to get all the cranberries you need this week-end!

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

Cranberries in applesauce = Genius!
Those scones look awesome too. Can't wait to get home so I can start baking. I'm thinking cranberry ginger scones for me next week.
LOVE that elephant teapot!!!!

smartcat said...

The elephants look suspiciously like heffalumps to me.
YUM! For the scones.
Congratulations Joe! Well earned; well deserved. I do hope you will post the acceptance speech somewhere.....so inspirational!

Joe Troncale said...

With the award of the Easter card
I claim title as the Gary blog's bard
The only real bummer
Is that Gary needs a plumber
to get the sewage cleaned out of his yard!

Glennis said...

Drool......totally yum.

Unknown said...

Harumph.
And here I was stopping by to pick up my award.

denis said...

Joe was the best of the creams and deserved the blue ribbon. Kudos Joe!

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.