Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Monday, March 5, 2012

one fact and one dream, mega-beagle edition: we need YOU..plus fajitas....

Please go to comments and add your fact and your dream, whatever quickly comes to mind...or whatever has been on your mind for days, sure!

BEAGLE edition, one fact and one dream: Penny is like "the fact of the matter is, Gary always drops stuff on the floor when he cooks because he is a really SLOPPY chef...and a slob in general" and then Penny adds "I dream of the day I figure out how to use a ladder and open the fridge, thereby taking control of my own destiny in the kitchen..."

Gary edition: One fact: holy cats, ebay can be like slot machines or horse races or winning at poker! And I dream that the, um, 2 wee auctions I just won turn up items that seem as awesome in person as they do in the pics.....

OK, now your turn!

Let's share a wonderful wonderful recipe. The wife has this old magazine cutout I had never seen and I am like "what's this then??? ZUCCINI FAJITAS???" and my non-vegetarian friends are like "BARF! ZUCCINI FAJITA?" and the wife is like "this recipe probably comes from one of those months when all your friends are dumping zuccinis on you and you put them into EVERYTHING". Like August.

Anyway, it is flippin' awesome. Especially the way we did it:

Step one: roast 2 sliced sweet potatoes mixed with a spoonful of oil and black pepper half an hour at 400. I added this bit. the recipe needed something like this, and it was WORTH IT!

Step, the rest: 4 big fajitas: dice a bell pepper, onion, 3 cloves garlic, small-medium zuccini and saute several minutes on medium-ish
-in a small bowl, stir sour cream, like 1/2 cup more or less (I use non-dairy sour cream) with some wicked hot salsa, about the same amount as sour cream
--for the last couple minutes with the veggies, turn to high and get them nice and seared and crispy, don't let it burn, mix stuff around a lot
--pull out potato and put onto tortillas, then veggies, then sauce, then roll it up and eat, HOLY CATS the tastiest thing EVER

17 comments:

smartcat said...

Fact: Sunny and only into the 30's today.

Dream: Real Spring.

I bet the fajitas would be great done on the grill (in a pan).

You had better watch for the day Penney and Spike figure out how to work together. (Cat kibble kept on shelf. Cats knock kibble on floor. Dog opens. Kibble feast ensues. Kibble goes in tamper proof can. Hah!)

Gary's third pottery blog said...

oh, believe, me, I have seen that happen once, those 2 are thick as thieves! Penny is, well, not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but Spike cat is VERY clever...and sometimes a little naughty....

Gary's third pottery blog said...

and I am with ya there, grill them veggies, etc! when spring is here for REAL! not like this cold and snowy sh!t we have today...

cookingwithgas said...

Fact- the sun is shinning so bright that even my basement office is full of light.
Dream- that things go smoothly through the next few weeks-
When we raised goats and pigs they worked well together in getting out of the fence.

Shortstuff said...

Fact: It is snowing so hard we have almost 4 inches and it just started about 2 hours ago.
Dream: That I find a new job and SOON!
Alas, no critters here and I miss them. We did have our two legged critter home for the weekend and might I just comment that she is one adorable kid. Don't know how we got so lucky!

Lori Buff said...

Fact: The sun is shinning brightly here.

Dream: Good things going forward for the people who've been hurt by the tornadoes

Michèle Hastings said...

Fact: Sophie kitty stood at the top of the spiral staircase and yacked over the edge, yacking long distance is a mess to clean up.

Dream: Lately I keep dreaming about babies or that my daughter is 2 or 3 years old again. What is up with THAT?!

Corinne Tyo said...

Fact: If you don't already know this...sprouts are bad. Don't buy any right now because something is going on with farmers. Hence why Jimmy is no longer serving sprouts. Also, sprouts are so miniscule, it doesn't make sense to completely change your order or cancel because of them.
Dream: The other day I dreamt I was given a tour of *Jimmy John's World* Kinda like World of Coke, but for JJ. I'm working too hard :/

Unknown said...

Sloppy cooks are an animals best friend, keep on...our dogs are the greatest cleaning utensil in the world.
Fajitas sound really yummy, and grilling the vegs would be fantastic.
Dreams: mmmm wishing it was warmer out, that is for sure. I need the warm sun, and light breezes, brings a smile to my face...

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

Fact: these fajitas look amazing! I want them right now.

Also a fact: I finally have a day off and the weather is perfect!

Dream : that someone would come clean out my refrigerator and get rid of the funky smell that I can't find so I can go out and play on said day off.

It looks like you have square tortillas...what's up there?

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

Fact: these fajitas look amazing! I want them right now.

Also a fact: I finally have a day off and the weather is perfect!

Dream : that someone would come clean out my refrigerator and get rid of the funky smell that I can't find so I can go out and play on said day off.

It looks like you have square tortillas...what's up there?

Reverend Awesome said...

Fact: I MAY HAVE woken baby William up when I was babysitting on Saturday. No fun babysitting a sleeping kid.

Dream: That it was still Saturday and not this Monday crap.

Elizabeth Grimes said...

Fact, my attention span is waaaay off today. Dream, win a grammy! Can I have a fajita now?

Joe Troncale said...

Fact: This is a great blog and conveys a lot of good will.
Fact #2: Zucchini is the Italian National Vegetable. (maybe not a fact, but I grew up on various forms of zucchini. Anyone ever heard of cuccuzi?)
Dream: That people would get a life and be nice to each other.

Glad your shelf at the store was empty!

BSOB said...

fact: im not sure of any facts although im gonna check with Cornell University.
dream: scotia was 8 ft tall and we could ride over to Gary's for yummy food.
fiction: My name isn't Benjareno

Joe Troncale said...

Gary,
I believe you should think about starting a boutique restaurant. Take reservations for 5-10 customers a day... They will get great food and then they can buy their dinnerware!
(And talk to your cat...)

Busy Bee Suz said...

Zuchinni and fajitas...two of my favorite foods combined!
Fact: I am so tired today.
Dream: I wish I could lay in bed for 24 hours!!!!!

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.