Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Sunday, February 9, 2014

"life is just a chair of bowlies"



I have always loved that saying by Mary Engelbreit, so funny!  Her drawing, so funny!  Maybe you have to be a potter to laugh at sh!t like that....

ANYWAY I was chatting with the wife about some of these bowls, below:
me:  "I wanted to make just a big color splash of bowls..a whole herd of colorful bowls across the table!"
the wife: "......."
"you know, little matching ones, bigger serving or mixing that stack..."
the wife: "......."
me:  "I like a set where they have a similar pattern and shape, but all different colors!"
the wife:  "......."
me:  "like that long painting at MOMA I like (see header) or like a Mary Engelbreit painting, all these different colors coming together in one piece, seems cacophonous, but it works!"
the wife:  "......."

(I should mention here that potters can be mighty boring and go ON AND ON about glazing and such)

me: "and this series of bowls?  I really want to have a nice thick and fat rim and base...very practical for  lifting and mixing, looks good too"
the wife:  "....."
me:  "and I want these wee ones for us, all the same size!  HAPPY EARLY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!!"
the wife:  "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

So, as I blogged yesterday, we kept the small matching set of 4 and started using them right away, hot from the kiln.  The larger set continues to grow...I was glazing Saturday and had a small mixing bowl and wondered to self "what color???" and realizing it would fit nicely into those four...making a fivesome...

Have a great weekend!

(new bowls by Gary Rith)

9 comments:

cookingwithgas said...

You know that none of our bowls match. I love bowls.They are so useful.
Yours make me think that spring is coming.

bartster said...

I love making bowls! The rims on yours tie in so nicely to the feet and those colors are wonderful!

smartcat said...

I've always had a soft spot for that Mary Englebritt. At one time I wanted to make all the bowls.
I love the way yours look; all stacked and colorful Keep on bowling!

Barbara Rogers said...

So serious, never any fun around you, eh? And ugly everywhere too! You know I'm joking...

Michèle Hastings said...

Your mix of colors reminds me of the old fiestware. So much fun seeing them all together.

Hilary said...

Very colourful. That aqua, yellow and mauve colour combo would make a good set of bunny mugs or something like that for Easter, too.

Gardeningbren said...

Beautiful bowlies. Mary E would be proud. I have a round cushion with exactly that image and saying on it. Makes me smile. So do your bowls and this post. Thanks.

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

The bowl addict over here feels faint from these photos! I actually have a mug with that Mary E drawing and saying on it. Also one that says, "It's good to be queen!"

Busy Bee Suz said...

These are great! Love the sizes and shape.
Mary is right; life is a chair of bowlies!

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.