Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Friday, February 21, 2014

GEMS and clowns....







Oh goodness I love these.... I saw notice last week of a FINE show of pottery from the turn of the last century, exotic and art nouveau, etc, at NY's Metropolitan Museum.  I hope to go soon, and was thinking I should visit their East Asian pottery too...they have a terrific collection, but what got me more than the Japanese and Chinese gems were the Korean celadons. For my taste it is the most beautiful ceramic work ever made.  I have...um...at latest count?  8 green glazes in my studio, 3-4 of which I call celadons.  Celadon is basically a glassy (coke bottle!) glaze in a light blue/grey/green shade.  It would vary by region in Korea and the rest of the east and around the world, depending on glaze recipes and materials.  In this house I am not too strict and consider spring green, jade, light teal/turquoise celadons BUT ANYWAY, you can see the beauty of form, decoration and color that I love....

In OTHER news Yogi came over to clown around Thursday with Penny... the 2 are mighty happy to get out in the 40 degree weather...then he came in to help me make pizzas!


10 comments:

cookingwithgas said...

I am happy that the dogs love the snow- what a winter. Lovely pots those are. We have so much to learn.

bartster said...

Zoe's not feeling the late winter joy yet...it's warm enough finally to where we're not carrying her out to her potty spot and back into the house, so that's progress.

Loved the pictures of those pots! Thanks for posting them.

Anonymous said...

I like the etching in those pots.
Such cute pups!

Barbara Rogers said...

I thought maybe you made those first pots...then decided maybe not. There were no animals on any of them!

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh, except the chicken headed one...

smalltownme said...

Beautiful spring-like greens.

ang design said...

it's still snowing...wow ....I loved the korean exhibition that was on at the met my last visit!!

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

Great pots and great dogs... Doesn't get much better than that! :)

Emily SIL said...

Dogs, pottery, life is sweet!

Busy Bee Suz said...

Those vases are so elegant. Love the bamboo myself.
It's always a dog party at your house.

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.