Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Thursday, August 27, 2015

victim of their own success...

There are (at least) 2 kinds of potters.  Production potters make the same items one after another for years.  The fellow I apprenticed to does that--if you bought a plate from him 20 years ago and broke it, he has a stack on his store shelf today that you can choose from for an identical replacement.

Then there are those like me, fahting around everyday, constantly (easily bored or curious) trying new ideas.

These elephant items are super-duper popular.  I am fiddling with the bowl, and like this variation better than ideas I have done in the past.  It is lucky I like them, because the demand is very high, so I try to make a few every week, not just some huge week of a hundred herds of elephants...




6 comments:

bartster said...

With these pots, the elephant in
the room is a good thing:)

Lori Buff said...

They are truly adorable, I can see why they are in high demand.

Barbara Rogers said...

what cheerful elephants...and keep on making what your heart leads you to!

Michèle Hastings said...

I don't blame you for not wanting to make a hundred at a time, you might get tired of the form. I prefer to work in sets of 20.

JB said...

I get distracted and hear the weeds calling after about 9 of the same.

Trish said...

You are so wonderfully, whimsically talented. :).. Cheers. T..

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.