Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Saturday, August 29, 2015

loving people live in a loving world...



"A loving person lives in a loving world. A hostile person lives in a hostile world. Everyone you meet is your mirror." --Ken Keyes

THEREFORE a cheerful alligator on a bowl! Not hostile at all.....
I like that quote, although it doesn't really explain everything in the world in any circumstance, but it is a good start. FOR example, I went into the wrong eye shop yesterday:

"Do you take this insurance?"
(looks at me like I am a stanky homeless guy) "NO"
"Did this place used to be Empire?"
Optician "No, we can't help you" turns away, looks put out...

Me, totally confused and upset, sets out again, and finds the optician I was looking for, ONE block away.  My insurance company is listed on the door, the place is large with a million choices, the optician at the desk is SO nice and helpful, as is everybody else.  I mean HELPFUL, and nice.  Maybe because they are actually doing business?  Or maybe just because they are friendly and people like going there and so they are thriving....

Basically, being nice is always a good idea, in dealing with others, especially in retail, RIGHT?

5 comments:

cookingwithgas said...

Yes, be kind.
I'm teaching two days a week.

Barbara Rogers said...

See ya later, gator!

Michèle Hastings said...

Sometimes it's hard, but you are right... in retail it's best to be nice to everyone. Sometimes even the nasty people end up buying something from you.

Cassi said...

That's a wonderful quote, and I think it goes a long way toward explaining why some people are so miserable. I try to keep this in mind especially when dealing with anyone working as a cashier, especially because when my hips were painful I was often grumpy when I had to be out walking and shopping. I'm trying to make up for that previous grumpiness :-)

Anonymous said...

Amen, Gary.
We had an in-service on civility in the workplace (it was actually really good) and your post is like an echo of that.

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.