Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Monday, August 31, 2015

hard knocks....

SO, shortly after posting the pic of the table and its feet yesterday I bent to retrieve my napkin from under the table and slammed my head into a sharp candle holder ....like a cartoon, right?  I saw stars and I was pissed.

Some background:  I am no stranger to head injuries:  I remember when I was about 3 the kid who threw a brick that hit me in the head and later lying on the emergency room table later getting stitches; getting punched in the nose by a high schooler when I was 8 which knocked me out; getting hit by a car when I was 14 and bicycling through an intersection in front of 2 cops (I smashed the windshield with my head --the driver had cut me off illegally...it wasn't as bad as it could have been); in tenth grade I was at the bottom of a pile up in a high school football game, didn't get up,  missed a couple months school.... I mean, it is ordinary, we take our knocks, right? Coincidentally  the wife and I were talking a couple of days ago about that special headache you get with a head injury:  it hurts, you're nauseous, want to puke and or sleep.  of course, you aren't s'posed to sleep, but still....

OK, so to resume my story.  I had grabbed the napkin for no good reason, just that it was down there and I was on my way out the door to run five miles.  I shook me head, felt OK, and ran the five miles feeling pretty good...about 50 minutes later I got home and the wife was up and about and gasps:  my head was covered in blood.  And suddenly I didn't feel too good.  I don't know why there was a delayed reaction or whatever, but I just wanted to go to sleep, and I did.  I got up for lunch, and went back to sleep.  I got up and did the dishes and went back to sleep...I feel pretty normal this morning, I'd say....


 

8 comments:

Michèle Hastings said...

Maybe you should buy that head of yours a helmet! Glad you feel better today.

Barbara Rogers said...

You are a hard headed guy! be well!

smalltownme said...

Ouch! I hope you don't have a concussion.

Jenny Hart Boren said...

A few weeks ago I fainted (long story), hit my head on the floor and was out for a few minutes…woke up in time to puke my insides out. I didn't want to spend hours waiting in the ER, as crappy as I felt, but I think I might have had a concussion…I apparently lived through it, though! Your cranial-cracking history is quite impressive.

Anonymous said...

Scary! And that is a LOT of head injuries. Yipes!

JB said...

Thank goodness you woke up! Head injuries are tricky. Those table leg are awesome.

sddonlon said...

Gary, please be very careful with bonks to the noggin!! Having it checked out is a really good idea!!

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

What??? I'm obviously catching up on blog reading today and see this! I'm so glad you're okay!!!

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.