Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Friday, August 28, 2015

FAIL



You wonder why I bother trying, hope springs eternal! Every spring...for 20+ years I have planted tomatoes and have gotten nothing but heartache.  I am the worst gardener on earth.  This year they got blighted early and late, leaving us with very few tomatoes for many months work....ditto the baby pumpkins I grew on a whim:  one after another, the lovely blossoms fell off....I will have these 4 baby pumpkins, but considering the miles of vines and blossoms, how could I do so badly?

There have been some great successes though:  my basil does well, some plants are now 1 1/2 years old and they will come inside soon.  I always do well with cosmos and sunflowers, and look at our first try for green peppers! SO, I give up on tomatoes.  Peppers and sunflowers will be my specialties from now on....well, that and baking GREAT STUFF--I tried a new recipe for flourless brownies(click here) yesterday, HOT DAMN!  They are gluten-free of course...although, having no flour, do I even have to say that?

8 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

You and your sunflowers look just fine! Glad you are a good baker!

bartster said...

I notice Penny is pictured whenever baking goes on. She must be the kitchen assistant (designated taste tester?).

Cassi said...

Strange that you'd have trouble with tomatoes but not peppers! Usually it's the other way around. I did not have good luck with my tomatoes this year either --I went for some grafted heirloom varieties, but 2 of 3 produced hardly anything. The third is a paste tomato, so I froze those for soup in the fall. But basically no tomatoes for tomato sandwiches!

smalltownme said...

You are a man of many talents, who cares about a few tomatoes!

Anonymous said...

what a sunflower!
I've had some BAD years as a gardener. And then many good years. So many variables at play.

Common Household Mom said...

I can sympathize about the tomatoes. The first year I tried growing some, a creature ate them just the night before I was going to pick them. That was 20 years ago, and I gave up until we tried putting tomatoes in a planter on the deck. But, blight struck.

Those baked goods look delightful!

JB said...

To increase your yield you may have to do some flower sex, that is picking a flower and gently wiggling onto one that is going to remain on the vine or the plant. There may be a shortage of bees in your area hence low pollination rate. This system really works on both tomatoes and pumpkins. No candle light required!

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

I'm guessing you can find a neighbor who grows tomatoes and make a trade. I'm definitely trying those brownies!

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.