Gary's Third Pottery Blog
When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....
WRITE TO ME! email@example.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016
Sunday, April 12, 2015
HUSH PUPPY: adventures in cornbread, redux....
(hush puppies: I have heard that years ago in the south when frying up dinner you would also fry up some cornbread to toss out to the dogs, so they'd stop howling...must have been noisy little hounds like mine ;)
You will recall that not only do I like to explore the frontiers of pizza (see last week: baking pizza with ramen noodles!), but I am gluten-free and like cornbread A LOT. It has the pretty golden color, the nice texture which is even nicer if you crisp it in the toaster or fry pan.
SO, maybe you remember some months ago I made my usual small cornbread loaf spread out thinly in a pan and baked it into a YUMMY and QUICK pizza crust.
I write about this again for 2 reasons: 1) for my birthday I got a tiny little iron fry pan (6-7 inches) and it is the little friend of my big fry pan and 2) the person who gave it to me tells me they love cornbread, but had never baked any in a fry pan and could NOT BELIEVE you could make pizza from regular cornbread....isn't that little pan a cutie?
Recipes follow, have a great Sunday!
Gary's small cornbread recipe
-preheat to 350, grease a small loaf pan or 6 inch iron skillet
-in large bowl, add one cup cornmeal (or corn flour or fine cornmeal or a combo of different textured cornmeals)
-add 1 1/2 TBS sugar, 1 teas. baking powder, 1/2 tea salt--stir dry ingredients together
-bowl 2, stir one egg, add 1/2 cup milk (I use soy), 1/8 cup cooking oil like canola--stir then mix into the dry flour ingredients until well combined
-spread into loaf pan or skillet, bake 25-30 minutes
to make the cornbread pizza
-preheat to 350, grease either an 8 x 8 brownie pan or 10 inch iron skillet
-make the small cornbread recipe above, spread it into pan--it will be fairly thin, 3/4 inch or so
-bake about 25 minutes, remove from oven
-spread a little tomato sauce and spice on the cornbread (not too much sauce!) top with whatever you like and cheese, return to oven--since the cornbread is already cooked, I turn off the oven now, because it is going to stay hot enough, but this prevents the cornbread crust from burning--pour yourself and gorgeous wife a glass of vino, dress the small salad and eat it, toast your good health and that of your friends and family, after about ten minutes of salad and wine you can check the pizza, and the cheese should be nicely melted, toppings perfect, carefully slice into 4 pieces and serve---makes enough pizza for 2 adults to GET STUFFED!
Posted by Gary's third pottery blog at 4:30 AM
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Me and Missus Tastycakes
ME, the TV interview :)
my etsy gallery
- ► 2016 (324)
- the Queen is a pottery student and other such surp...
- Penny's tenth birthday ....
- bowled over!
- baking banana bite muffins with beagles, gluten-fr...
- mine, all mine!
- no Kardashians or Jenners here, nosireebob....
- gawdamn SNOW....
- out of the dungeon and into the studio....
- DUNGEON: before, after, and after THAT
- teapot Tuesday: violets, pansies, something like ...
- mug shot Monday: repetition!
- double before and after...
- didn't get eaten by alligators THIS time....
- T-Rex, Godzilla, dinosaur, dragon, monster, whatev...
- how to WRECK or SAVE an afternoon....depending on ...
- oh what joy spring is....
- it is with some relief....TEAPOT TUESDAY!
- the birds and the bees: making...flowers!
- HUSH PUPPY: adventures in cornbread, redux....
- first of the season...
- iris and pesto pasta with pets....
- blue iris....
- flower blossoms, inside anyway!
- teapot Tuesday, spring edition!
- you heard me right: RAMEN PIZZA
- dreaming of a WHITE Easter.....
- Large LIZARD LOVE.....
- sixty four and a first!
- slowest spring EVER....
- birthdays are NO joking matter....
- ▼ April (30)
- ► 2014 (361)
- ► 2013 (366)
- ► 2012 (416)
- ► 2011 (413)
- ► 2010 (616)
- Gary's third pottery blog
- I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.
Have you ever cooked Amaranth? I got some the other day and the bag just says boil it up. I think it's gluten free, but maybe not. The cornbread pizza is a winner!
Have you experimented with a cauliflower crust? I see a lot of those lately.
Post a Comment