Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Friday, March 13, 2015

tempted to eat it....



(Godzilla up there:  it occurs to me that I could make Godzillas everyday and put magnets on them and take over the WORLD...and maybe some could hold things! Just hope he isn't tempted to eat it....)

Considering how cold it has been...below zero outside, and not much warmer in the studio...for months, I have gotten a LOT of pots made.  I am working in a bunch of different directions, as you have seen.
I love patterns.  I guess most humans would say that.  I guess I love orderly, geometric patterns most, and think about it all the time, checkerboard is an old favorite.  I have fiddled with how I want to make pots with checkerboards, and this cup here below may be IT.  Sort of high textured plus the glaze color.
Twas coolio how the sun was on it at the table, hmm?



And of course I had to give it to myself so I could think about the design and style, right?



6 comments:

smartcat said...

Watch out! You never know what Godzilla will take a fancy to!
Neat mugs; of course you have to keep the first one for testing. That's part of making stuff!

bartster said...

You certainly harnessed creativity during a nasty winter! Love the cup and saucer...the functional ware seems to transform a house into a home.

Barbara Rogers said...

While I was trying to figure out how you made the green and white striped cup, you "splained" it. OK, there are the subtle checkers again...much prettier. But white and green stripes would be cool too!

Anonymous said...

I like that sun-stripe, too. And Godzilla. Always Godzilla.

Caroline said...

Do you find you notice patterns everywhere you go and it gives you ideas for your pottery? I so much more observant these days.

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

The texture, the glazes, the sunshine... all wonderful!

Did you know my friend KCINNOTX visits your blog? :)

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.