Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Saturday, March 21, 2015

fire and brimstone...

a)  thanks for submitting jokes yesterday, holy CATS those are funny!
b)  YES Caroline, there will be some pots with flowers on my etsy shoppe soon, thanks, but anyone is welcome to contact me directly about items to purchase, etc, at garyrith@yahoo.com
c)  it didn't snow too badly yesterday...only a little snow expected today and tomorrow....
d)  why the Snoopy and psychiatrist cartoon yesterday, why the break?

WELL!  Look at this:

That is the inside of my kiln with a BLACK SPOT.  The kiln has been a little stinky the last few firings and was wicked stinky the last time I fired it.  Fire and brimstone and HELL is what it smelled like.  I couldn't figure out why until I did a glaze firing Thursday which only got to about 1200 degrees out of 2200 degrees before I gave up.

That sh!t is depressing.  Waiting forever for the kiln to reach temperature until you realize it is not gonna get there because it is broken. (therefore Snoopy at the psychiatrist:  kiln mishaps are depressing to potters and yesterday I didn't want to talk about it until I fixed it).

Luckily I got the kiln open early on a VERY busy day, the problem was obvious...burned out element on top.  Obviously burning out a little at a time for the last couple of stinky firings. It is an old kiln, and 3 of the 4 elements had to be replaced in the last year... now the last one has burned out, no surprise.  Although it is always inconvenient to have to unload a partly fired load of pots, tear out the kilns guts (unplug first, kids!) then hope you have replacement parts on hand (I DID), put it all back together and test....ahhhhhhh....working FINE now :)

So, not depressed about it anymore.  Actually, anytime you successfully troubleshoot and fix something you feel great, right?

I was in the mood to make a baking/serving dish of a certain type, and so I did.  I wanted the handles JUST SO  have a good Saturday!


4 comments:

Caroline said...

That is an amazing serving dish. Just think...you didn't have to pay someone to fix your kiln...you didn't have to wait until someone was available to fix your kiln...you didn't have to buy a new kiln...you are one lucky dude. AND you have a cute beagle!

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

fabulous serving dish! Sorry about the kiln problems but happy you're up and firing again!

Barbara Rogers said...

Well, us potters are a bit respectful of brimstone, but we are the people who work with fire, whether elec or wood, all the time! Good on you repairing your kiln!

Michèle Hastings said...

I tried to comment from my phone yesterday... obviously unsuccessfully!
I feel your pain, we have had to replace switches on our bisque kiln in the last month. Elements will be next. :-(
Love the square bakers!

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.