Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

this is the end....


You won't see ME up till midnight, nosireebob...
2014 has been a good year here, hope it has been good for you too.  I am excited to fill out my running calendar's last box today.  It folds out of my filofax.  I run 3-5 miles  every morning, except when I don't, like yesterday it was so snowy and slick and I used the home gym only.  At the start of year I had a pedometer and wrote miles run and the day's paces, but the pedometer broke, so I started just writing in the miles run plus number of times I walked dogs.  I seem to have averaged 6+ runs out of 7 a week and about 4.5 dog walks a day.  I know, how do I find time for anything else? And WHO CARES?  Well, to tell the truth, I know some people who move only with great difficulty.  Running makes me feel alive, walking is how I meditate and think and I don't wanna stop until my ashes are in the urn.

SPEAKING of which, I had a request yesterday for a custom funeral urn. About 12 inches wide and 18 inches tall (A HUGE POT, like twice the size of a big cookie jar).  I remember reading before I went into pottery full-time "never take custom orders" and I politely told the person I was sorry they needed the urn, but they should find another potter.
The wife tells me "that thing would be so big, are they gonna put a whole FAMILY in there?" and I am like "I could crawl in there myself!".

On a more serious note, I made my first Thai papaya salad (click here) and OMFG it was good--I wanna try its sauce with a mango, or any other salad.  YES, yes I am eating a lot of tropical foods lately, the weather is cold......
happy new year and have fun!





 

8 comments:

Michèle Hastings said...

Happy New Year to the Rith family from the Hastings & Brown family!

Busy Bee Suz said...

You are quite the active person Gary!
Wishing you, the Missus and the critters a safe and happy new year!

Anonymous said...

That's a huge urn. Great idea, I may file it away for future use. But a smaller one. My remains won't take up that much space;) Unless they had medical parts they also wanted to store? Just a theory...
Your rock monsters...well, they ROCK.

Hilary said...

Happy New Year to you, Maude and the critters.

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Most days it does hurt to move (but I do it anyway) so I applaud your activity, Gary!
Share the recipe for your papaya salad?
Happy new Year!

Jennifer Denise Ouellette said...

Happy New Year to you and the Missus!

JB said...

I made a couple of urns as a response to a car accident that claimed the lives of 6 teenage pedestrians. Perhaps I was just working through the shock of the incident...many of the kids had been students at the school where I taught. I included the urns in an exhibition the following year and one was sold to a Potter for her personal use! On that reflective note, All the best for 2015. Happy new year.

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

Okay, I'm behind in blog reading...again...so happy new year. I just wanted to say that I LOVE the idea of keeping track of your running/walking/dog walking. There is something so satisfying about looking back at all that activity. I would love that. I've been off walking because of the damn foot for almost 6 months and it's making me more crazy than my usual level of crazy. Hoping to get the all clear tomorrow. Meanwhile, just today I started keeping track of yoga. So, aren't we the smart ones? Onward to 2015!

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.