Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Friday, December 5, 2014

Shakespeare and curry burritos!



I was dreaming just now about teaching a huge high school class 8th period drama and acting.  I have never done this before, although I taught high school English 20 years ago, Shakespeare included.  I was teaching these skeptical students who needed to be won over.  I assured them there would be little homework but a LOT of in class acting practice, starting right then with Romeo and Juliet.  Boys and girls were to pair up BUT boys got to be Juliet, girls Romeo...and not as a joke, but to really try to BECOME those roles.  I woke up before getting too far with the lesson, but i was patting myself on the back, feeling like I was heading the right direction with them :)

IN FOOD NEWS: Vegan Stoner has the cookbook and the awesome blog.  I planned to make their chickpea curry yesterday, but decided to stuff it into tortillas rather than on rice. I make my own gluten-free tortillas with rice flour as you have seen here, but Bob's Red Mill has a new product out:  One to One gluten-free flour mix.  Anyone who has started baking gluten-free knows that it takes some practice getting used to rice flour or chickpea flour, etc...I have become very good at it, with a full recipe collection of breads, cakes, cookies, pies etc, as you have seen.  But with Bob's new One to One mix, you can try to simply make ANY ordinary white flour recipe without thinking about it....

SO yesterday I went to the back of the Vegan Stoner Cookbook for their flour tortilla recipe.*** Their tortilla recipe approach is a little different from other methods I have tried in a couple of ways...but HOT DAMN did that recipe with Bob's One to One work SO PERFECTLY...and with chickpea curry filling?!!!!!


*** In a bowl stir together 2 cups flour, dashes of salt and 3 tbs olive oil.  Slowly stir in one cup +/- of water, to get a nice, spongy dough, not sticky, not dry.  Use your hands to mix it too.  Then roll out 8 balls on a floured counter or like I do, between sheets of floured wax paper.  Heat a skillet to medium-hot with a tiny bit of oil, cook each side until brown, a minute or 2, then placed finished tortillas covered in a clean towel, until all are done.


4 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

I'm with Spike, just waiting to taste this! Sounds delicious!

Michèle Hastings said...

I know so many people with gluten intolerance or celiac disease who struggle with finding good baked things. You have really done well with the switch. I think you have "one up" on many of my friends because you enjoy cooking and experimenting. Most are looking for something out of a package.
I hope that your gut is feeling much better with the switch.

Lori Buff said...

I love Bob’s products, so smart and good.

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

Thanks for the tip on the new Bob's flour. I will definitely try it. I haven't been nearly as successful or adventurous in baking GF as you have. I made a passable GF pie crust for Thanksgiving but it was a COMPLETE pain to roll out. I made one entire recipe that ended up in the trash so keep those tips coming! Tortillas are definitely going on the list this week....I see sweet potato black bean burritos with some of that avocado lemon shmeer in my close future.

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.